1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.Sub/.idx file help please

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by Shiney09, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Shiney09

Shiney09 Member

Hi all

I would like some help please with .sub/.idx files when converting an avi to a dvd using Winavi.
    Basically, i have the subs files in the same folder as the avi file and winavi converts this perfectly and adds the subtitles. However, it adds the subtitles for all the movie rather than just the none english speaking parts. I have directvobsub installed and have checked all the settings in there to no avail. I also cannot shut the subs off using my dvd player after making the dvd.
    Essentially, please help!
    Is there a way of using the subs files to ONLY show the non english parts?

I would be most grateful of any response and help in this matter.

All the best
    Shiney

2. attar

attar Senior member

I'm assuming that there is only one subtitle stream and that the subs are on the DVD files.

Before the disk is burned, you can try DVDSubEdit to modify them.

You might wish to backup the DVD files before modification in case of error.

Run DVDSubEdit.
    'File' > 'Open Full Domain' and browse to the VIDEO_TS folder and select 'VTS_01_1.VOB'
    Use the slider or select button to step through the subs and use the 'Hide subpic' button as required.
    Click 'Edit' > 'Apply last modifications', then 'File' > 'Save all modifications'.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/subtitle_tools/dvdsubedit.cfm

[​IMG]

3. Shiney09

Shiney09 Member

Thanks for the info attar. However i have a couple of questions...
    I dont know where abouts in the film the subs are needed so i would need to watch the entire film to find out whilst removing the subs which does seem a little odd.
    Secondly, I have used subs files before and they would only show the subs for the none english speaking parts. Is this down to the way the .sub/.idx file is constructed? IE has someone been through the subs file like you have described and previously removed the english speaking subs.

Sorry to be a pain but i am just trying to understand how it works.

Thanks
    Shiney

4. attar

attar Senior member