1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subtitle Conversion and Embedding

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by rock5, Feb 9, 2008.

1. rock5

rock5 Guest

I have a video file in the MKV format with subs. My ultimate aim is to use this video file on my 5th generation ipod video. I have done the following till now:-
    1) Used MKVextractGUI to split the MKV file into video, audio and subtitles. The video is in avi format with xvid compression.
    2) Used BeSweet Light to convert the ogg audio into mp3 for muxing with the video avi file.
    3) Used AviMuxGUI to merge the mp3 audio stream with the video.
    4) Used SUPER to convert the new muxed avi into MP4 format with the h.264 AVC codec.
    5) Transfered this file to ipod.

Now I wan't to add subtitles to this file. I've done the following:-
    1) Extracted the subtitles from the MKV file. The subtitles are in the .ass format.
    2) Used Subtitle Workshop to convert the subtitles into the ssa format and then used the subtitler filter in VDubMod to embed the subtitles.

The problem is that I am having to recompress the video two times viz. once to add subtitles and then to convert into MP4 format.

I have the following questions:-
    1) What is the difference between muxing and hardcoding subs? I have used AviMuxGUI to mux subtitles into the video stream. But when I play the resultant video I do not see any subtitles.
    2) Will ipod play files in the MP4 format with muxed subtitles?
    3) I wan't to avoid compressing the video twice. VDubMod does not support the MP4 container. Can u recommend a software that supports compressing into the MP4 container while also hardcoding the subs. This way I only compress once and add subs also.
    4) If I must use VDubMod to hardcode subs using XVID then how can I ensure that the hardcoded avi file is as similar as possible to the original avi file.

Technical Difficulties:-
    1) I am using subtitle workshop to convert the .ass subtitles to .ssa. Is such a conversion advised?
    2) SubMux is not muxing the video and subtitles. After adding the video file and the subtitles when I click save, with default options, the muxed file is only 300kb in size and the operation ends without any error.
    3) VDubMod is not hardcoding the subs. I use subtitler filter which only supports .ssa. This is why I am having to convert from .ass to .ssa using Subtitle Workshop. When I check the preview I can see subtitles in the preview window. But after saving the video, the resultant video does have any subtitles even though i enable full compression using the XVID codec.

Is there an easier way to play MKV files on an ipod?

Awaiting your response

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  3. rock5

rock5 Guest

Avidemux creates files that QT cannot play. If QT cannot play them then they can't be played in ipod.

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Sorry, I revisited the guide page and it clarly stated that the resulting files will not play in QT.
    Some iPod players I thought they support on/off subtitles. they could be muxed with the video in the mp4 container using Mp4Box.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/mp4box read through the version history for iPod compatibility

Another tool for hardcodeing subtitles from Xvid directly to mp4 container:

http://beans.seartipy.com/2008/01/20/step-3c-hardcoding-subtitles-with-mp4-files-using-xvid4psp/

Also, if that doesn't work,
    Try this guide for converting to mp4, with subtitles:

http://tom.zickel.org/vlcmp4/

You can also try VirtualDubMode instead of the VD, as VDM supports mp4 container:

http://se.x-pec.com/k750mp4/

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  5. rock5

rock5 Guest

I think the best tool to use right now is mp4box. The problem is that the MKV file has .ass subs hence not supported by mp4box. I have converted the subs to .srt using subtitle workshop. I was not able to convert using Aegisub. I get the following error when trying to add the subs in the converted .srt format using Yamb 2.0.0.8: -
    list index out of bounds (0).

When I add the .ass subs using the command line i don't get an error but the subs dont seem to get muxed.
    Is there any other way to convert .ass to .srt?
    Also once the subs have been muxed they should by default load up as they are a stream in the container? Or do u need to enable them in the player menu?

6. rock5

rock5 Guest

Using VLC to convert the file to MP4 drew my attention. Thus i went ahead and tried it. The problem is that using VLC the output file is an audio file in MP4. There is no video. I have cross checked with the link and everything seems in place. But still I am left with an audio file after repeated attempts. Can u advise on what could be the cause for no video?