1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subtitle playback on ripped movies

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by surferboy, Oct 15, 2003.

1. surferboy

surferboy Member

I've been ripping DVD-9 movies (using Decrypter) and splitting to 2 DVD-R's (using Info Edit). However, upon playback, either one or both discs may show subtitles as if they were already selected to be on. I know I could strip the streams and remove the subtitles all together, but I want to keep them. I just need to know if there is a method that can be performed to prevent them from displaying unless I decide to select it from the main menu as it should be.

2. baggins1

baggins1 Member

Get dvd shrink and put movie on to one disc and see if you can get subs on as well

3. nuklehead

nuklehead Member

It may just be your dvd player, mine often does the same thing, not just with dvd copies, but with originals too. Not a big deal, you just turn them off.

4. baggins1

baggins1 Member

Still don't see why you would want to put it on to two dvd's when you can use one. I may be old but my eyesight is good and the quality is still very high

5. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Very simple. Your DVD player is set to play subtitles on start-up. This can be changed using the DVD players menu.

6. surferboy

surferboy Member

Thanks for the replies... would like to address a few; First, I only use compression programs such as DVD Shrink or Xcopy express if the ratio is 90% or better, otherwise you defeat the purpose of going to a higher standard if you are trying to get away from video degradations like vcd and svcd.

Next, I have 3 stand alone players as well as drives on 2 desktop systems, and they all behave the same way (even PowerDVD), so it appears that it was embedded in the navigation packs from the IFO files during editing...

As I stated initially, I can go on adjusting the settings and turn them off whenever I see them appear, but I was hoping someone would offer a technical way to edit the subtitles and how they react. Is it possible??

P.S. Gave it some thought, and double checked the DVD settings on my standalone players... They were set to 'off', so that probable cause can be ruled out.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2003
  7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

In DVD Shrinks menu, select show all substreams and not just once less than 1MB. Delete them all. I know you said you wanted them, but its the easiest thing to do. You could attempt to find the problem by editing the IFO file in IFOEdit or something, not my cup-of-tea though ;-)