1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subtitles at both top and bottom in VLC?

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by steelcaress, Apr 20, 2013.

1. steelcaress

steelcaress Member

Hi! I have been lurking in these forums a long time, as most of the stuff I need for video help I find here, which brings me to my question:

I am a Windows XP user trying to run subtitles at the top AND on the bottom of a video played in VLC media player. Two different subtitles. Ideally, romanized Korean (Korean words written using the English alphabet) would be at the top, and the English translation would be at the bottom.

Now, I know how to code basic SRT files in Notepad, and other software Ive tried either doesnt have support for MP4s (which is what I download), or doesnt save them in the format I want them (so if I want them to play in Media Player Classic, the re-encoded file will not play). What Ive tried is Subtitle Workshop and Avidemux.

My best option seems to be VLC. Ive tried other players (like KMPlayer) and tried playing it using hardware acceleration which just slows down the video portion. Obviously, thats not what I want.

As I am poor, suggestions for free software are welcome.

So, heres my question: is there a way to get VLC Media Player to play subtitles (or something like it) at the top and bottom at the same time, or is there a better way to do this?

2. attar

attar Senior member

Not with VLC.
    Using MPC (or one of it's variants) it should be possible - as long as FFDSHOW is installed and you use it to display one of the subs.

If you can't figure it, I can post my notes (not a tutorial, but it's reasonably straightforward).

[​IMG]