1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subtitles make the image choppy?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by neuvonen, Dec 12, 2002.

1. neuvonen

neuvonen Member

Hi there!

I find a guide to put subtitles to an vcd, but there may be a problem. Anyway, I download the subtitles (.sub,.srt) and just name it as the avi file (room.avi,room.sub), then open Tmpeg, and increase the priority of DirectShow Multimedia File Reader to 1 or 2 (so it will be the first one on the list), and than just convert to vcd.

The problem is this: without the subtitles, the file play great in my computer, after I convert it with subtitles in mpeg, the quality isnĀ“t so good, and the video is a little choppy.

What can be the problem?

Thanks!

Mikko

Last edited: Dec 12, 2002
  2. X-0ut

X-0ut Member

I find the best way to add permanent subs is to use virtualdub as a frameserver and encode the subs along with the vid through tmpenc plus.
    You didnt say wether you have altered the original films bitrate,what kind of mode(CQ VBR?) you're using so its hard to say what the problem may be...
    Possibly you have altered the framerate without realising it?

3. mineuvon

mineuvon Member

Well, for example, The one.avi...the bitrate is 951 kb/s, 23 976fps.I encoded it with Tmpeg making an NTSCfilm, so the bitrate went to 1150 kb/s, mode is CBR...is this the problem?
    The file play again perfect on my pc, then I burned it with nero at 8x speed, the video sometimes play good, sometimes it goes quick for a sec. or two..than come to normal...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2002