1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subtitles on DVDs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by GreekGirl, Jun 19, 2004.

1. GreekGirl

GreekGirl Member

Hi there, how is everything? Sorry if this is not the right forum, but I guessed people who get involved with DVDs and shrinking might have an answer for me... SO here is the question... Can I add subtitles to a DVD? I know I can make subtitles and save them in DVD format with Subtitle Workshop but what then? Thanks for the taking the time in reading my thread!

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi GreekGirl,
    Yes you can add subtitles. The program you mentioned, Subtitle Workshop, can do this apparently. At least its on the list of features for this program.

But what then? Well, I guess you would want to burn the DVD files you have added the subtitles to to a DVD. For that, you would need the appropriate programs, depending on how Subtitle workshop has outputted the video files.

If you have tried this and could explain exactly what you are trying to create we can probably figure out what you need to do. What kind of video are you trying to add subtitles to? Is it camcorder footage, downloaded video or ??

I'll take a closer look at Subtitle Workshop and see what using it requires.

Cheers,
    Frank

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

OK I had a closer look at Subtitle Workshop and found that it actually does not put the subtitles on the video file you are working on. I played with it for about 15 minutes and as near as I can tell, it will create a subtitle stream which will have to be synchronized and multiplexed into the .avi, mpg, etc you are working with. This is done in an authoring program. Subtitle workshop has a large list of output formats to use, each one associated with a different authoring program.

I also found this guide for adding subtitles with Subtitle Workshop:
    http://geocities.com/erik_vullings/

Its quite a process and there are easier ways to do this other than this particular program. Let me know what you think.

4. ekway

ekway Member

5. ashwin

ashwin Member

hey i need some help i have a dvd i want to create a subtitle for it i used subrip,subtitle workshop.but they are rippers they just rip the subtitles from a dvd the file i have does not have a subtitle so can any one help me in creating a subtitle for a dvd