1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Succesfull creation of a KVCD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by lanet, Mar 15, 2005.

1. lanet

lanet Member

Hi all,

i have for some time been trying to sucesfully create a KVCD from an AVI file. The main reason being that i dont have a DVD burner but do have a CD burner and would like movies to fit on one disk.

Last night sucess and i felt the need to thank this board for all its help and to provide a step by step guide for the newbie KVCD author.

A greate deal of the KVCD information that helped me was in this post, http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/124272,)

[bold]Software.[/bold]
    The following is the software i had to install to get everything working. These may not be the best software but they work for me.

- Divx codex's
    - AC3filter
    - kvcd templates ( http://kvcd.net/dvd-models.html)
    - DirectX 9 (audioconverter requires this)
    - Audioconverter
    - TMPGenc
    - Nero

[bold]extract the audio from the AVI file[/bold]
    Extract the audio from the AVI file using audioconverter. I use all the default options and it creates a WAV file in the same directory as the AVI

[bold]create an MPG file from an AVI file using TMPGenc[/bold]
    I use this procedure for creating a VCD to create the MPG file, mainly due to the fact that I am familiar with it.
    (page 1/5) - Using the TMPGenc wizard select PAL, click next
    (page 2/5) - Select a video file (AVI), and audio file (WAV) and an aspect ration (4:3 635 line), click next
    (page 3/5) – click next
    (page 4/5) – click next
    (page 5/5) – click OK, when asked whether you want to create the file, click yes

This should result in a perfectly playable MPG file.

[bold]create a KVCD video file using TMPGenc[/bold]

(page 1/5) Using the Wizard select the KVCD template, KVCD-CQ-352X288-_PAL—PLUS from the others tab. Click next.
    (page 2/5) - Select a video file, and audio file and an aspect ration (4:3 635 line), click next
    (page 3/5) – click next
    (page 4/5) – click next
    (page 5/5) – click OK, when ask whether you want to create the file, click yes

This will create a M1V file which contains only the video portion of the file.

[bold]create a merged video/audio file using TMPGenc[/bold]

Open TMPGenc and cancel the wizard
    Open the File – MPG Tools… menu
    On the Simple Multiplex tab:
    - select a Type: of MPEG-1 Video CD (non standard)
    - enter a Video Input (the M1V file created earlier)
    - enter an Audio File (the MPG file created earlier)
    - The Output File should default, change it if you wish,
    - click Run

This should result in a perfectly playable MPG file.

[bold]Burning to CD [/bold]

-start NERO and from the New Compilation window I choose Video CD. click NEW

I then drag the MPG file to the VCD1 window and click BURN.

It does its thing for a while and when complete have a perfectly usable KVCD.

I will edit this post with some stats concerning files sizes and some comments concerning quality later (I am at work now).

I will also be attempting to tweak some of the seetings to decrease the file size without affeting quality too much. Anyone got anu tips in this area.

Tim.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I'm glad you found that little guide useful!
    Just a little hint: by default, TMPGenc's KVCD wizard sets Motion search precision = High quality (slow). If, on step 3/5, you press the 'other settings' button you can, under the 'video' tab, set [bold]Motion search precision = Very high quality (very slow) [/bold], which, for powerful computers like ours, doesn't slow too muv the procedure, but encreases A LOT the final movie quality. Just test it...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2005