1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Successfully Burnt "The Forgotten" With DVDX Copy

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by 1coffee, Jan 20, 2005.

1. 1coffee

1coffee Guest

I've been using DVD X Copy for more than a year and there has never been any movie that I could not burn...untill I tried to make a backup copy of "The Forgotten" and "Residenr Evil II". I just could do it. It would not read it properly. Then I started looking for a new DVD ripper such as Clone DVD, Clone DVD2, and 1 Click DVD. They all need decoding soft like DVD Region +CSS,DVD For Free or Any DVD.

To make the story short,none of them above worked, but when I tried to copy the same movies with DVDX again,it hesitated to read first, but it started reading nonetheless and finished it(The Forgotten) in 11 min. and finished burning it in 6 min.

I played back on my stand alone DVD player and it showed one quirky behavior that I've never experinced.It would not start the movie automatically, but I clicked on fast forward and I saw the first chapter and I clicked on play. It played beautifully to the end.

I was thinking that some decoding softs I downloaded maight've helped DVDX to read the movie?

By the way,if you turn on AnyDvd then DVDX will not read the movie properly.

Hide

2. weazendvd

weazendvd Member

well i've read if you play the dvd for a few minutes with dvd playing software such as powerdvd. maybe because you were trying all of these things it kind of worked like that. im not sure but its just a guess

3. pfarmer

pfarmer Member

i am also trying to back up the forgotton with no luck. have tried dvd decrypter with any dvd. No luck. what is dvd x copy; is that dvd-x-copy platinum or something different? thanks

4. dbldown11

dbldown11 Member

yeah ive had no luck as well... got a little farther with anydvd, but then when i went to shrink it i supposedly ran out of virtual memory...

going to try later when i get home.

5. 1coffee

1coffee Guest

To pfarmer,

I have DVDX Copy Xpress and it has easy 3 steps to make a backup copy.If you want to get one, you should get it from UK site where I believe they sell original DVDX Copy Xpress program that lets you copy unlimited times.

Here in the US,you get a copy-once-only version.

6. bydasword

bydasword Guest

good for you!!!! i tired dvdxcopy plat 4.0.3.8...no luck...got bad sector errors, unreadable dvd jargon. although AnyDVD/ClondDvD, seemed to be the way to go. i, i am now pleased.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@ 1coffee,

None of those proggys you've mentioned are rippers - They're all transcoders and some are burners BUT rippers, they're not !

"decoding" OK, I'll bite, what is that ? All these proggys are rippers - That means, in the rest of the world they are called Decrypters not Decoders. Could you speak the same language as the rest of the world ?

DVDX is a converter to go from DVD to VCD - it doesn't copy - where are you coming from ? Do you make up
    names for things as you go along ?

PLEASE try to speak our language - it's easier for us to read.

Question: What do you call an automoblle - a boat ?

Untrue, All DVD XCopy have a "block" to prevent you from making XCopy copies of XCopy copies. You can however make copies of DVD XCopy copies using any other proggys, i.e. Nero, DVDD, CopyToDVD, etc.

BTW, Do you know how you look not knowing anything about the programs you post about ?

Naaahhh, I guess not -

@ weazendvd,

An excellent trick. Especially when using the new DVDD (release date Jan. 5, 05.) It does "hang" up a bit when doing one DVD rip after another - Picking it up after playing the main movie for a minute or two is a good "work-around".

Burn On . . . .

@ pfarmer,

The Platinum DVD XCopy has an advanced feature which allows more control and it also gives you a Rescue proggy which works fairly well on "Buggered" DVD's. DVD XCopy basic allows "movie only" on a single disc (with minumum compression) OR the entire DVD on 2 discs. Xpress does either a "movie only" or "entire disc" on 1 disc with no real control over your backup. (Platinum has all in it's suite).

Burn On . . .

@ bydasword,

Since DVD XCopy hasn't changed in well over a year you cannot expect a discontinued product to "Do" discs with newer encryptions. It even has trouble using newer discs as no one has updated the proggy.

AFA AnyDVD, At this point in time, the proggy that works better than any is AnyDVD.

AnyDVD will rip 100% of all encryptions out there -

Here is a 21-day free trial offer -

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

It works behind the scenes the same way as DVD43 (FREE) and DVD RegionFree BUT there are many, many DVD's that DVD43 cannot rip.

Even CloneDVD3 has been upgraded from CloneDVD2 and can now handle DL discs SO AnyDVD and CloneDVD3 are an excellent choice EXCEPT DVD Shrink (FREE) will give you a better quality backup as will DVD2One. When setup, DVD Shrink can rip, encode (with advanced quality settings)and burn (using any of the 3 "automatic" burners) with just 3 clicks compared to XCopy Xpress's 4-clicks. Which proggy is truly less work ?

XCopy Xpress = 4-clicks
    DVD Shrink = 3-clicks (and with much better quality)

It's really a hard choice (Lol)

Burn On Good Guy, Burn On . . . .

Pete

8. pfarmer

pfarmer Member

did everything you told me to do and then tried cellular call. It made it thru all the files but the last one and then it quit and said error. Now what?

thanks

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

10. pfarmer

pfarmer Member

didn't realize these are different. Every time I click on after dawn it goes to a different place. Did not intentionally do this, just very new to these forums and I keep clicking on different topics and not being able to go to where I have been. My sincere apology to you; I appreciate help from everyone. Do not understand all of the links and how to get back to where I started. Wish you ciould just e-mail one person and get help that way but I know that is not allowed. very sorry.

Miata

11. bydasword

bydasword Guest

Thanks, Scuba....i've been reading up on Shrink, and i'm going to give it a try. DvD X Copy had worked for everything up until i hit Sony's new attempt. Kinda figured it would be only a matter of time before something would prevent successful back-ups with the growing-old X Copy. But i am grateful for Sony's encryption, it had me on the hunt for new programs that would work. 'preciate the info.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2005
  12. diego4paw

diego4paw Member

I just recently got dvdxcopy 4.0.3.8 platinum and had been having problems but i also got anydvd and ever since have had no problems burning the forgotten or any movie for that matter when running both...as long as i have gone into simple mode and done movie only or even advanced mode and selecting the movie file...and i am running a very slow system for both platinum and my burner... maybe rather than trying to rip whole disk try out different options...i have noticed though that sometimes when i play my burnt copy that there are minor pixel errors or glitches at the beginning of the movie but nothing unbearable...remember play with your programs and change things up to see what works.

13. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

scubapete,
    actually you can make a copy of a copy with the rf version of dvd x copy 40415rf . im not trying to piss you off or anything , so dont take this wrong way or anything . its just you state that all dvd x copy has a block to prevent making copies of copies . that is untrue . have look here .http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/83029

i personally think its time for people to give up on dvd x copy and to move on to some thing that is updated and is able to do the latest dvd's . dvd x copy is old outdated software that many have had trouble with and it costs way too much . just my 2 cents .

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

dlc2000,

I don't ever get "pissed" with new information, never have, never will -

I did go to that link and see that now, since XCopy doesn't really have a home (or 321 controls) they have taken to use PSIDoc's "321!Rip" patch to reinstall the ripper and to delete the splash screen. I have that on my Platinum version as well. That may well allow copying a copy BUT I don't see anything about it here.

AFA DVD XCopy being "out-dated" of course it is, but not for it's ability to rip or not. It's problem with ripping can of course be fixed by using AnyDVD to backup XCopy's ailing ripper.

It is out dated because its encoding ability which has been by-passed by modern technology. It's like saying that VHS tapes are a quality product because it can still copy a TV movie. Nero's recode2 has installed Deep Analysis and "Slow-encoding" to maintain a higher DVD quality on it's backup the same as DVD Shrink's Deep Analysis and Quality enhancement settings. CloneDVD3 also has improved their encoding, as have others while XCopy hasn't been touched in over a year. A year I say. With the speed of technology, a year is a very long time. XCopy's quality, which was once acceptable, is not anymore for those with discriminating quality standards. XCopy can still do a 1:1 backup using 2 discs while for the past 9 months the rest of the world can do an exact 1:1 on a single DVD. Their "entire disc" backup and even their "Movie only" backup cannot compare even closely to DVD Shrink's backup.

Truer words . . .

I will agree that 321 always had pretty packaging. What I don't understand is . . . why so many pple are buying a discontinued product ? Who knows, maybe Nash Ramblers will start selling again for $40,000.00 +. When these kids that are buying discontinued products now get older, maybe they'll continue to purchase stuff no longer made . . .
    I've got a cellar full of stuff like 8-track tapes and players as well as reel to reel tapes . . Damn, I'll be rich . . . Hurry up kids . . . maintain that buying logic, grow up quickly, I could use the $$$$ . . .

Sea Yaaaaaaaaa soon . . .

15. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Actually I too purchased a copy of DVDxCopy Platinum when it first became available and was a happy camper until RE2 came out. I looked online for another program and came across "1Click DVD Copy". I tried the free trial version and thank heaven it still didn't burn RE2 at that time, otherwise I might of purchased it.

The main reason I never ever thought that there could be other programs out there, such as DVDxCopy, was what the movie industry helped accomplish, to win in court and help him go BK after his court expenses.

I never ever imagined there could be a site as great as Afterdawn.com. DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter or VobBlanker, and some terrific advice, (most of the time,) once again made me a very happy camper!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  16. pfarmer

pfarmer Member

ScubaPete

May I ask what program you use if you no longer are using dvd-x-copy. I know you use shrink but what program actually reads the movie? As you can see I am confused.

Thank you

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

pfarmer,

You're not confused, you're lonely

BTW tell everyone here how you ask questions day after day, on thread after thread over 1/2 dozen forums just to toss that info out and begin all over again.

You cannot be dumb enough after hanging me out on 3 threads (double-posting and all) just to ask the same question on another page in the same thread - like you're double-posting here -

Yep, that's what I'm going to do, I'm reporting you .. .

Sea Yaaaaaaaaaa

18. restart

restart Member

I also had problems with forgotten. I was able to decode it with DVD decrypter. The first vob has a large blank spot at the beginning which creates the error. I set DVD decrypter options to 0 retries and ignore error which filled in the void with bytes. But because it was a large gap it took a while. I then used DVD Shrink and reauthored it. This is where I saw the gap. It was at the beginning of the first vob. This prevents the programs from copying the movie. Unfortunately I didn't like either endings of the movie. They left a lot to be desired.

19. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

I agree with Restart - the Forgotten leaves a lot to be desired. I only decided to back it up as a challenge to see if I could do it. After reading several threads on the subject, I figured the quickest way to back up only the actual movie, the extras really suck, was as follows:

DVD Decrypter read/write > ISO File > Shrink analyze > replace Extras titleset with still image > Shrink encode > Decrypter burn.

This allowed both versions of movie, with menus, on one disk with no additional compressing. You do have to fast forward to quickly get past the blanks at beginning of movie.

ScubaPete is right about X Copy, Xpress, Platinum, - all those old 321 Studios programs - being obsolete. I pr-ordered DVD X Copy way back in Oct of 2001, and still have about 20 versions of their various programs on various computers. In early 2004, when the competition caught up in what I call the "one-click" market, I switched and haven't looked back.