1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sudden issue

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by silver69, Mar 24, 2005.

1. silver69

silver69 Member

Okay first off...
    I am using Liteon dvd and dvd r/rw double layer burner, running xp with service pack 2 and using Dvd Shrink 3.2 and the newest version of DVD Decrypter. I have backed up about 50 dvds without one problem. Single layers were backed up with DVD Decryter and burnt with it (using Nero with Decryter) Duel layered disc were copied with Shrink by ripping the main movie file only. So I copy this way for at least 50 dvds and never had one bad disc. Now the bad part it started with Spider Man 2, I copy the main movie file only and start to watch it. It's fine then it suddenly starts playing the beginning scenes again when it's about 3/4 though the movie. I tried different ways of ripping the movie thanks to: http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html (tried the mayo method) same result. So I gave up on Spider Man 2 and moved on to Dazed and Confused (single layer) so I rip with Dvd Decrypter got a nice ISO on the hard drive burnt to dvd and started watching it. Was great til the one party scene then it freezes for sec shows a subtitle of what they were saying then goes back to the menu screen. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on here? I don't understand this. It was fine then this just started nothing has been changed no windows update etc. I use Memorex btw (have on all) and Nero OEM 6.3 is installed.

2. thugs121

thugs121 Regular member

Sony recently put a new encryption on their dvds, called ARccOS which probably screwed up your back-up...this new encryption has been a headache for a lot of users here...

Your best bet is to use a driver that can detect and allow you to back-up your dvd bypassing ARccOS...

Run AnyDVD or DVD Region+CSS Free in the background while you are backing up the dvd. Some say that AnyDVD works better than dvd region+css free...

These proggys are not free, you can try them out during the trial and see if it's right for you...They are worth your money since Macrovision will be introducing "RipGuard" to dvds in the mid 2005 and beyond which they claim to stop 97% of the rippers out there...these progs update and updates are free when you buy them.

AnyDVD 4.6.3.1

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/anydvd.cfm

or

www.slysoft.com

DVD Region+CSS Free 5.81

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/dvd_region_free.cfm

or

www.dvdidle.com

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  3. Hallywood

Hallywood Regular member

Hi siver,
    Are you using the newest version of Decrypter? If not, I would suggest you upgrade and try again. Decrypter will bypass the newer encryptions and rip the movie. If you use Shrink then you will prolly have to get your hands on a newer version of AnyDVD and try again.
    Good Luck,
    HW.

4. silver69

silver69 Member

Thanks guys. I'll have to give anydvd a try. One thing still bugs me though. Why am I having problems with older single layer discs? ie the Dazed and Confused older movie ('93 I believe) I used to be able to burn these kind of disc on 8x speed while chatting and surf the 'net and I would have perfect copies. Would it be too far out to say that Sony could have something on the dvds that would mess up Decrypter? I know that sounds dumb but I never had a problem til I tried Spider-Man 2 now I can't copy anything. (tried uninstalling and re-installing Decrypter)...I'll try to do an update on it and try again. Thanks again guys!

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

silver69,

I don't know if can make this any clearer or not, but
    [​IMG]

It's the media you are using and nothing else. Just try it go get some different media like Maxell, FujiFilm, or Sony and give them a try you will be amazed. Try playing one of your earlier burns with the Memorex and see if they still play...?

6. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

It's hard for people to admit that saving a "nickel" on crappy media will bite them eventually. "Penny wise, Pound foolish...."

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah, but in the long run they will end up spending more money because in a few monthe those memorex won't even be playable, and they will have to start all over again. :)

8. silver69

silver69 Member

I was going to try that next (different dvds). I never had a problem with them and being new at this I didn't want the cheapest but I didn't want to spend a lot while learning. So I went for mid grade. Will try Maxwell or Sony.
    Thanks!

9. silver69

silver69 Member

btw mine ealier burns play fine.

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

For now ;-)

11. silver69

silver69 Member

Tried burning the ISO of Dazed and Confused (was ripped with Decrypter) to a Maxell dvd. Same problem as the memorex. Made no difference at all. All out of ideas unless it happens to be my dvd drive?

12. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

Now, if I am not mistaken Dazed and Confused is an older movie, correct?

13. silver69

silver69 Member

Correct. I am getting the same issues with new and older movies (but for the spider man 2 that was a whole new issue I could always rip the movie) Someone else took that movie and could not rip it either. (so Sony does have a lock down it seems)

14. zenarrrow

zenarrrow Regular member

I have spider man 2 I will try to back it up and see what happens.

15. silver69

silver69 Member

Okay an update here. First off I downloaded the newest version of Decrypter. Then I tried burning newer and older movies with it. For duel layered I used the mayo method and for single layer I just ripped an ISO and burnt with Decrypter. If I play the movie in PowerDvd for chapters I have like 5 "chunks" (it's always 5 no matter what movie) it will play fine til it comes to the end of a "chunks" then it will pause for a quick second then will flash black (really quick btw) then continues to play the movie fine. In WinDvD it will show chapters however around chapter 15 (give or take a few chapters depends on the movie) it will start play scenes from the beginning of the movie (ie credits ) and that is all it will play. I gave one of the movies to a friend with a dvd player (I just use my computer setup) the movie played fine til the close to the end (as in near the 15th chapter) then it had some problems like it needed cleaned, had a little "fit" then he was able to finish the movie. I dropped the Memorex like a lead ball and started using Maxell and Verbatim but same thing happens. Again this worked fine til I ripped Spider Man 2. One tech I know thinks I should reformat but I feel that is a little too far out, but maybe he is right? Any ideas?

16. thugs121

thugs121 Regular member

What speed did you choose to burn with decrypter?

Also, what is the size of the movie when you burn it onto the dvd-r?

17. silver69

silver69 Member

I burn movies in 6x speed. The very last movie I burnt was 4.26 GB (the ISO file was anyway) The single layer movies I burnt were smaller.

18. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@silver69 - There no funny protections on Spider-Man 2 as far as i remember; .

6speed should probably be ok, so it could be multitasking etc etc. Further up the thread you stated you multitask during burns. Maybe slow it down to 4x for now and step away from PC. you got any RW discs you can use for now ?

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@silver69 - There no funny protections on Spider-Man 2 as far as i remember; .

6speed should probably be ok, so it could be multitasking etc etc. Further up the thread you stated you multitask during burns. Maybe slow it down to 4x for now and step away from PC. you got any RW discs you can use for now ?

20. silver69

silver69 Member

I'll try dropping it down to 4x. I actually stopped mulittasking a while ago to see if that would help (during the last burn I tried) it didn't. My CPU usage look good during the burns.