1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sudden Problems in Vaio V505EX--Never before

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by gtea11, Mar 29, 2007.

1. gtea11

gtea11 Member

Hi, My old vaio all of the sudden started to be incredibly slow (just fine a couple of weeks ago). I was going to wait until at least fall to upgrade laptops, but I'm i a bind and need a laptop working, either by fixing or buying another one early. It's a sony pcg-v505EX, 1.?GHZ M processor/60G/that had 512 DDR RAM but I upgraded it to 1G, thinking that might help, but it didn't. I had recently loaded TrendMicro Pc-cillin instead of Norton and the Openride AOL sofware. But now, I've uninstalled all security software (haven't been online since) and AOL and so I should be at squre 1 (better with double RAM and no security suites hogging memory), but it still requires 5 restarts to work for a little while (slowly) and then freeze up. I've had it over 3 yrs and never had any problems, hardly any slow running or freezes since I bought it. And now, it's horrible. Virus scans checked out as well. I don't know...I uninstalled everything properly, so I'm not sure what else to do. I'm now looking at purchasing another laptop because it's faster than getting this one fixed and it just speeds up my plans a bit (though maybe costing me on newer prices). I do want to fix the other one at some point and maybe give it to my mom for work. I really have loved this computer, but I've taken it to people and they've no idea either...very frustrating. Anyway, I'm also going to post about advice on the new investment, so if you got time, I'd love all of your advice. Thanks!

2. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

check task manager and google all the processes that are running to see what is and isn't needed, this will help you a bit.

it sounds more like a virus than any thing (post a hijack this log in the virus threads and see if they can see anything) but it could just be that xp is cluttered with invalid entries that you have amassed over time. i would try to repair the registry and run somekind of optimizing software (i use tuneup utillities 07) and if its still no better a fresh os install always speeds things up again.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/166

3. gtea11

gtea11 Member

Ok, I'll do that. I've already disabled all unneccessary startups and processes--no good. Thanks.