1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggest an audiobook solution for old and visually impaired

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by tnespoo, Apr 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tnespoo

tnespoo Member

Hi,

I am trying to come up with a good solution for an elderly (100+, really) relative whose eyesight is failing. She's not blind yet, but she'd like to try audiobooks because she cannot read anymore. It should be as simple as humanly possible to use. I could preload it with CDs or mp3s, so changing discs etc is not needed. Some other parameters:

- Could use either headphones (preferably wireless) or speaker(s), either Bluetooth external or integrated
    - Should automatically continue from where the listening was interrupted, even if the power has been turned off
    - Doesn't have to be portable, so it can be plugged into a charger at all times

So far I've considered an mp3 player, but what's left on tho market tends to be overdesigned and/or have too many functions. No video player needed... Another alternative seems to be a cheap Android tablet and some music player software with very large icons.

All ideas are welcome, though. Even "simple" radios like Tivoli Audio tend to make their few buttons as invisible as possible. There are also audioreaders for the blind, but they tend to cost $$$, which is ridiculous considering how primitive they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.