1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggested Homebrew to Get

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by LufianGuy, Feb 4, 2007.

1. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

I got my old DS and my M3 Perfect MiniSD and Passcard 3 just showed up. I have yet to start pimping it out, going to do that later today. I'm only really going to be using my DS for DS and GBA games, mp3's and movies possibly.

I need to know:

1. Is it better to torrent or dl roms? Also what files (extensions and what not) should I get when getting roms?

2. What homebrew stuff should I get? I'm thinking of getting DS Organize and Moonshell, I think thats all I'll ever need.

2. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Torrenting or dwnloading is up to you, torrenting you will fnd packs of roms (groups of 20-50) so is good if you want everything you can also use a client such as bitcomet to dowload individual ROMs from the packs, but it can be slow, downloading requires you to find a site, but is alot quicker to download just what you want than torrenting.

Files your after will be '.nds' but obviously will most likly appear as '.zip' or .rar' on download/torrent sites as they have been compressed, just use the appropriate program to extract the '.nds' (I use winrar)

BEUP is a good MSN Messenger for the DS, also DSAIM if you use AIM,
    DoomDS, for playing Doom (big surprise)
    DSorganise, i know you siad it, but it's good enough to have a second mention :)
    MegaETK, Megaman like game.

3. negid

negid Member

Is DSAIM 0.01E the most up to date version?

4. Kiwiclx

Kiwiclx Member

The most current version of DSAIM is 0.02e

5. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

1. dl your backups. it's faster and you'll get exactly what you want. either way, it's still a faster process. unless you have a reeeealllllyy good torrent client and good speeds.

2. i use both of them as well as d-saim, i might get beup if it works as well. most wifi homebrew are... troublesome. i really really wanted the vnc based homebrew (pointy remote, dsvnc, win2ds) but have never gotten them to connect. i was gonna use the ds as a tablet for photoshop or at least ms paint if photoshop took up to much ram. dso's scribble will have to do for now. also, i experiment with dsftp. i only successfully got a 9kb .jpeg to get onto the ds. i used filezilla. nothing else ever got onto the ds sadly. however, they have all been attempts on the simply, perhaps the m3 lite i have may come up with different results.

6. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Okay guys, I am ready to get everything going. I don't know what language my M3 miniSD is in though, I bought it from modchipstore.com. So I guess it would be in English?

7. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

Most probably is English, Simple way to find out is turn it on and see.

8. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

1. Do I need to use the miniCD they send with the M3?

My comp is set sideways and reading that CD would mean I have to turn my comp rightside up (I have a lot of wires back there, so that would be a huge hassle).

2. When I turned it on, the M3 was in english so I guess I can use the english update?

3. I put my miniSD Card into its adapter and inserted it into the card reader. OMFG, MY COMP IS REFUSING TO RECOGNIZE MY CARD READER, DAM IT! WTF CAN I DO NOW?!

Should I send it in for a replace or refund? (http://meritline.stores.yahoo.net/usb-sd-mmc-rs-mmc-memory-card-reader-writer-black.html)

After retrying a couple of times, my comp recognized the card reader. BUT IT STILL REJECTS IT A LOT, SO ITS LIKE WINNING THE LOTTERY. Note: I am using USB 1.0 ports that say it should work with decreased performance.

4. Do I have to format the card reader to FAT32 now?

I right click the card reader and hit format, but nothing comes up and I am unable to put the firmware update onto the card reader because I get an error. GOD THIS SUCKS!

I checked the properties of the card reader and its file system is unknown and it has it has no space on it.

5. Maybe updating the driver on the card reader will make it work better?

I NEED HELP! I'll try doing this on the comps at my college, hope it works.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  9. XbusterZ

XbusterZ Regular member

go to http://m3adapter.com and get the latest one from downloads. no right-side-up comps for you!
    i think so, never had a foreign m3 before...
    use a diff comp, or update the drivers, or get a new reader/comp... shoulda worked even if ya got usb 1.1
    you mean the sd card right? that's whats gotta be formatted... not the reader... i think that's ummm.... impossible.
    you mean on the comp, for the reader right? should be "usb mass storage" reader or something, check under control panel and "add hardware". make a restore point beforehand, just in case. insert the reader then let it auto-detect and everything. you ~should~ be fine.

10. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

Okay, I am at my college now in a watse of my time class. The reader works here, the comp recognizes it and it is formatted here.

1. The problem is, no matter what I do, I can't write to or format the drive. I keep getting a disk is write protected error.

I have my miniSD card in its adapter in the card reader. I have flicked the white tab on the adapter up and down and tried to put the firmware update on it multiple times with no success. Also, I do not see any tabs or anything to fiddle with on the miniSD card itself.

HOW DO I REMOVE THE WRITE PROTECTION?
    (it is hard to imagine no one has ever had this problem before)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  11. liurr90

liurr90 Member

That's wierd... are you sure the write-protect on your adapter isn't locked?

12. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

I flicked the switch up and down and tried multiple times with no success.

I always get this problem, I do everything right, and it doesn't work.

This really sucks!

No one has any ideas?!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  13. LufianGuy

LufianGuy Regular member

So no one else has ever had a write protection problem?