Suggestion for disc storage

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by nstevic01, Aug 4, 2009.

1. nstevic01

nstevic01 Member

New to the forum, and was looking for some advise. My current DVD collection is close to 1600 discs and grows at a steady rate of 24 discs per month not including tv series. Currently I am keeping them in several disc folders using an excel spreadsheet to indicate which book they are in, and I am looking for a new way to store them. Keeping them in the box and shelving them is out of the question, since it would take an entire wall if not more. I need something that allows for expansion, but is also easily accessible. I have considered converting them to store them on hard discs, but that has its own set of issues. I would need at least 10-14TB of storage, and even then I would need a RAID setup in case of hard disc failure. I don't even want to know how long it would take me to convert that many titles. So anyway, I am looking for storage solutions. Any suggestions would be helpful from people in my same situation, and from creative thinkers.

Thanks in advance.

2. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

3. varnull

varnull Guest

striped raid.. hardware raid... not software.. across an array of 8 or 12 drives per server.. don't go above 500 gigs per hdd.. those 1tb drives are awful... think about how you are storing media,. iso files are a horrid waste of space compared to x264 media files.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2009