1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestion to site owner

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by bahco, Oct 11, 2008.

1. bahco

bahco Regular member

I think this is a very good site BUT I do find it to be untidy and difficult to read at times especially with excess quoting,excessive signatures that serve no purpose and the site layout.

If you look at this site layout (below) I am sure folks will agree that this site would benefit from a change to something similar.

What do you think/

link =
    http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=25

2. onya

onya Guest

Wrong forum bahco.

*** Mods please move ***

PS: No, that "other" page set up looks awful.

3. cactikid

cactikid Active member

as there are so many people joining and asking questions they sometimes post in wrong sections like u r self and mods will move it to correct location,that can make it a bit untidy and people asking the same question which has been answered before but are too lazy to read just want a quick fix lol,another problem they say they have a box with problem not much use to us we need all info available model name and vers, area uk/irl can make life a bit easier.its the members who make up the post titles which at times can make u laugh.

4. noelyf

noelyf Regular member

I`m happy with AD the way it is.
    re: sigs - its up to the individual whether they want to use a sig or not.

5. cactikid

cactikid Active member

i was wondering why i felt naked no 1 told me lol

6. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

Hi
    Fine with me, keep it as is.
    jbvid

7. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Moved to relevant forum.

The forum in the link looks like another generic phpbb site to me. You can them free all day long and run them pretty easily.

8. bahco

bahco Regular member

What is a phpbb site pls?

It looks like no one agrees with me. I just feel it would be a lot tidier and easier for people to use this site if the layout was similar

9. Evastar

Evastar Regular member

I've been having a problem with AD since last night, it's really slow, anyone else having the same problems?

All other sites i have been accessing are fine, so it's not my internet.

I'm in Ireland.

10. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Not a problem here Eva. Been silky-smooth.

As far the site layout goes...i see no change being neccessary nor beneficial at this point.

11. Evastar

Evastar Regular member

Hi singer, it's working better now, maybe one of the servers was down or slow on this side of the world!

I have no problem with the site layout either, pretty easy to understand. :)

12. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Change of layout (of the whole site) is coming sometime in Spring 2009. But the layout of the site bahco mentioned in his/her post... eww. No :)

13. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Oh thank goodness. :p

EDIT:
    @dRD...is there a sneak-peak available?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  14. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

Oh yeah, would love to see a sneak peek boss.

15. bahco

bahco Regular member

Looks like I have been slightly outvoted lol.

Not a problem

16. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

PHPBB is the forum software of the site you linked to. You download it as a package, load it on a server and you've got a forum overnight. AD is written from the ground up by AD and that is why it looks and feels different than any other forum you'll find out there.

http://www.phpbb.com/

17. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

I noticed the same thing last night, but everything is back to normal today.

I agree with the majority as well, like the site how it is.

18. varnull

varnull Guest

I really like it now. the last round of updates improved the looks no end, in subtle ways. Is it just me or did they also improve page loading times?

If you really sit and look at the style there is some clever coding in there. Good work guys :)

19. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

We should get one of our Finnish language sites up and running with the new layout in next 2 weeks time, I might post a link here, as the layout will be pretty much the same across all of our sites in future (now the big problem is that we have four relatively heavily-trafficked sites -- AfterDawn, Blasteroids, download.fi, Puhelinvertailu.com -- each with different look and we really want to harmonize all of that under one layout umbrella). As we plan to rebuild some of the site sections (==not just change the layout, but change the way they work and are used) -- namely, guide section and price comparison section -- the new layout wont be available for AfterDawn until Spring 2009.

Some points that we'll focus on with the new layout:

-Use of standards: XHTML (strict) & CSS

-Use AJAX, but only where it really makes sense (rather than add AJAX to the site just for the sake of it)

-make site much more clear. The current layout, when it was launched, was quite clear, but as site has grown and new stuff has been added pretty much everywhere, the current layout is bit of a mess.

-focus on each site section's best parts (on news section, we wont promote downloads, guides, etc as heavily on sidebars, etc but instead, try to focus with the "surrounding" navigational elements to other news items, what's "hot" right now, etc)

-try somehow make all of our gazillion site sections benefit each other without spoon-feeding links from one section to another

The big challenge for us is really to think how all the bits and pieces we have, should work together. And we can't really just "steal" ideas from anyone else, as pretty much nobody else has tried to package "all" of the tech stuff under one site (forums, news, downloads, price comparison, guides, glossary, user blogs, etc)[/i].

20. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Great to see that dRD is on top of this :) and yea i agree the layout that was suggested is very old and like hell no!!!!

The other thing is that dRD and the other hard working staff have worked very hard recently and many of the users old and new are getting used to the new recent improvment that have recently been adapted.

Soo i say keep up the good work aD and the other updates to the site will b great.