1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions on buying external dvd/cd buner COMPARED TO INTERNAL

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rich18252, Feb 14, 2005.

1. rich18252

rich18252 Member

Hey there everybody IM def. a NEWBIE to ALL of this cmp. stuff i have a old computer DELL OPTIPLEX GX 110 733MGH 255MBRAM operating w/ only 60 % system resources
    DISK DRIVES
    #1 GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE 55
    #2GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK
    #3 IOMEGA ZIP 100
    CD ROM
    SAMSUNG CD ROM SC1488F(READ ONLY)
    MY MAIN CONCERN IS IS IT BETTER TO BUY EXTERNAL DVD CD/ BURNER OR DVD BURNER W/ ALL CURRENT SUPPORTED DVD MEDIA I WOULD LIKE THE LATEST IN WHATS AVAILABLE W/ DVD BURNER I WANT THE SOFTWARE TO BE INCLUDED W/ DVD BURNER I REALLY HOPE SOMEBODY UNDERSTANDS WHAT IM TRYING TO SAY AND IF I'M MAKING SENSE FOR ALL TO READ AND UNDERSTAND PLEASE HELP ME W/ ALL SUGGESTIONS MAKES AND MODELS IF POSSIBL. THANK YOU ALL WHO CAN HELP ME AND ALSO TO THE ONES WHO WILL TRY.

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

OK, NO.1- Please don't type in all caps. It is extremely hard to read and it is considered rude because it implies shouting. The reason I tell you this is just being friendly, because the mods will admonish you for it and if it continues they will ban you as it's against forum rules.

Now, for burners, IMHO, I think Plextor is the best. The 708, 712, or the new 716 dual layer burner are all very good choices. These are all dual format and come as internal or external. As to which is better some prefer external, some internal, I have both and can't really tell adifference in transfer rates, speed, etc.

If you're looking to go a little cheaper; LiteOn, Pioneer, NEC, all make decent burners also. I like LiteOn probably second best, with Pioneer a close third. Of course this is a judgement call, and others may differ. You'll find most people agree Plextor is probably the best.

All of these in the newer versions make multi media compatible, all format, and dual layer.

3. rich18252

rich18252 Member

hey there bigorange thank you ever so much for your reply concerning caps my error wasnt payn attention will the internal take up more space on my cmp ? as compared to external. you wrote IMHO what does that stand for? so buying the plextor 716 will satisfy my every need? that will hlp me burn cd's to? once again thank you for your help and timely manner in answering my problem. have any good places on where to buy this product? when i say i'm new too all of this i'm maybe 1 1/2 months with computers i have alot to learn yet but i'm eager and willing to lisen read and watch.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

LOL, In My Humble Opinion :>)

Just check around, Newegg had the internal for a little over 100.00, the external runs about 200.00-220.00. BTW, plextor denotes internal as "A" and external as "UF". ex.-PX 716 A or PX 712 UF.

Yes the 716 will burn all formats, and dual layer and CD's. My stack only has 2 slots for drives and since I have 4 burners I went the external route. One good thing about them they will go both firewire or USB on the same unit no matter which model.

You can't go wrong with a Plextor "IMHO" LOL :>)

5. rich18252

rich18252 Member

hey now i know IMHO lol kool once again thank you for your kind support and feedback. rich18252

6. rich18252

rich18252 Member

one more think dont those football players ever get tired lol i used to travel tenn. many aday goin to california driving trac. trailers well until the next time be knd be careful be yourself

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Your quite welocme, BTW I live in the Smokey Mountains about 1 1/2 hour east of Knoxville.