1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suggestions please...

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by stolen009, Oct 23, 2002.

1. stolen009

stolen009 Guest

I want to backup DVD movies, and need some advice. What will give me the best quality ?

Rip and copy them SVCD via a CD burner... Rip and copy them to DVD burner (not sure what format)... Or How about Riping them to the Hard drive and using a TV out Video card ?

If anyone has any ideas, or thinks one is better than the other, I would appreciate it.

Someone also told me DIVX is better than MPEG... Why ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2002
  2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

SVCD would be pretty high quality but using a dvd burner would be higher again. DivX is not exactly better than Mpeg, its just that, divx can store dvd like quality in small filesizes such as 700mb for a blank cd. That cannot be played in a stand-alone dvd player however!

You mentioned having a tv-out card. What you should do is rip the movie from the dvd and use CM'S Digital Video Tool to merge the .vob files into one file and use WinDVD or something to play it because that would be dvd quality!

To save your hard drive, you would be best to rip to divx because the file size will be about 8-10 times smaller than the size of the .vob's and won't loose much quality (if you rip to divx properly!).

3. stolen009

stolen009 Guest

Thanks for the info. I guess the next thing to to is learn to Rip DIVX.

4. stolen009

stolen009 Guest

I have one more for you Dela if you happened to check back.

How do you, or any other expercienced guys (or girls) back up your movies ? What format do they use (DIVX, SVCD, etc.), and do they use DVD burners strictly ?

I just think if I am gonna learn how to do this stuff, I might as well do it like the pros do.

Once again, Thanks

5. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

Firstly, do you have a dvd burner? If so backup to DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R or DVD+RW.

If only a cd burner, try SVCD.

If your player won't support SVCD try VCD.

Finally if you have no standalone player you could stick with the above formats or try DivX.

Tell me what's at your disposal and I'll tell you which format is best for you.

6. stolen009

stolen009 Guest

chriso123: I am going to do what ever works best. I have made one using VCD, and was pleased with the results. If DVD burners are that much better, I would do that.

I just want to do what works the best, and was trying to find out what the best ways really are.

Thank you for your time.

** Forgot to mention I have no real disposal. I am going to be building a new computer, and trying to find out what I am going to need to get the best back up possible.

Also, my stand alone does support VCD.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2002