1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

super compressing MPEG-4 files???

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by jookycola, Dec 22, 2007.

1. jookycola

jookycola Regular member

My buddy just got a Sony PSP from his wife to use for business travels. And as a gift for X-mas i was going to send him a Data DVD packed with a bunch of H.264 MPEG-4 movies i've ripped from my collection. Most of these movies are about 400mb or less. So I have no problem packing the DVD with a lot of stuff.

But it brought up a good question. Is there a way to compress these files a bit more to fit a lot more of them on the disc? I'm just sending them on a data disc anyway so if i could compress them and all he'd have to do is unzip them from the disc that would be excellent. I have Winrar so i was thinking of maybe using that?....not sure if that works.

It's just an idea, but i was curious if there is a freeware item i can use to maybe squeeze a little more stuff on a DVD-9 disc.

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

You will have to re-encode at a lower bitrate. WinRAR or other compression programs cannot compress stuff like jpeg images and mpeg1/2/3/4 digital audio & video very much because it is already as compressed as it can be.