1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Super Frustrated with Freezing

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by yanks23, Feb 22, 2005.

1. yanks23

yanks23 Member

I'm a newbie and I'm having trouble. I use DVD Shrink, I have Nero, and I'm using HP +R's as my blank disks. I have tried encoding and burning two different ways and both generate the same problem.

1. I make an ISO image and then burn copy using Nero.
    2. I make a backup in my Video file and then make a DVD-video using Nero.

I'm using an external DVD drive (Sony DRX 710UL) and I have purchased a PC MCIA card to upgrade my USB port to 2.0 on my laptop.

They both produce freezing of frames within the first 3 minutes of the movie. Then, the rest of the movie seems fine. I'm getting super frustrated spending hours doing this stuff only to have the first part of the movie screwed up.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Most likely this is a media issue. Try another brand, like Taiyo Yuden maybe.

3. yanks23

yanks23 Member

Ok, thanks. I just figured HP's were good b/c they are $70 for a 50 pack, regularly priced (I paid $19 on sale). How much are the Taiyo's?

4. bluto1940

bluto1940 Guest

5. yanks23

yanks23 Member

So I assume that you think it may be media as well, Bluto?

6. bluto1940

bluto1940 Guest

I would try a different media first. You might want
    to get some re-writeable till you get it figured out.

7. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

yanks23--
    I had the same problem with HP disks--I bought them because they were on sale and I have an HP computer--after 2 of the first 20 "skipped" OR "froze", I tried a pack of Sony--no more problem! Good luck--

Whitfield

8. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

A surefire way to tell if there's a problem with the media is to do a crc check after you burn a dvd. dvdinfopro is great for this, but since you have Nero, you should have the Nero "toolkit." Look in the toolkit folder for "Nero CD-DVD Speed." On the "Extra" pull down menu is a "Scandisc" option. Use it to scan the disk for crc errors. If you find them, that's likely the reason for the "freezing."

Crc read errors are usually the result of poor quality media, or burning too fast.

9. yanks23

yanks23 Member

Thanks everyone. I'll try the new media before attempting to burn at a slower rate (BOO!)

10. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

Sony DRX 710UL. I got this drive in the internal version. Verbatium +R(1X-8X)media code(MCC003). Here is the newegg link for 50pack http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-130-951&depa=0

I found running Nero disk quality tests these disks looked the best burned at 6X. They looked much better than Verbatum 16X media(MCC004). I burned a couple at 12X and 16X, These froze up in XBox, Played fine in Apex. After looking at Nero disk quality tests at these speeds i can see why they skiped in xbox they looked terrable in test quality score of 0. Even when I burned these at 4X and 6X they did not look as good as MCC003 at 6X. I have also run 4X tiyo Yuden (TYG01). It did not look as good as Verbatum MCC003 on my drive. Also you can go to sony website and see what media they recommend. If you stick with Verbatum, Tiyo Yuden and Maxell. They work fine for me and there listed on there website as supported media. http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/710mediainfo_gb_all040820.html. Not sure if your using 2 drives since this is external but I would reccomend using sony drive to rip and burn, I think it's a fairly fast ripper.

Good Luck

Spacedust