1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superman Returns Audio Question..

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by jlg895, Nov 27, 2006.

1. jlg895

jlg895 Regular member

So I'm one of those that are tired of buying the same dvd more than once. I saw that as a bonus feature Superman Returns will have the 480i version as well. Which for those who dont know means I can watch it on my standard tv with my standard dvd player.

My question: does anyone know if I can use the Dolby TrueHD 5.1 surround track on my dvd player (which supports dolby digital and dts through my optical cable)? Or if I could extract the audio somehow from the hd version and sync it with my own standard version by re-authoring?

2. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

You're very confused. An HD-DVD can only be played on an HD-DVD player, no matter what resolution the content on the disk is encoded in. Actually, nothing you propose to do is possible.

3. jlg895

jlg895 Regular member

Why then would they add the 480i as a bonus feature?

4. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Because that's the only way it makes since for the majority of supplemental material, for several reasons. Without going on too long, 480i material takes up much less space on the disk then 1080i/p material. Because the vast majority of the extras on HD-DVDs are taken from the regular dvds, which are all 480i, and it would be prohibitively expensive, if not impossible considering most supplemental material is shot on SD video, to remaster all that extra stuff in HD. And because for interviews and documentaries, there's not much benefit to having them in HD. Do we really need to see the directory talk about shooting them film in HD glory?

5. jlg895

jlg895 Regular member

i understand what your saying. i'm pretty familiar as well. i just thought they listed the movie also in standard like a dual disc of sorts. i guess i misunderstood.

6. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

jlg895,

According to dblbogey7, you are correct. Superman Returns is a HD-DVD combo format, where one side is standard DVD and the other side is HD-DVD.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2/401906

I would assume the dvd side would be Disc 1 of the 2 disc set of Superman Returns. I'll let dblbogey7 confirm this, and answer your question which I don't believe is possible as you probably have no way of extracting the audio on the HD side.

7. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Ohhh. When the OP used the term "bonus feature", I assumed he was talking about the extras on the HD-DVD side. But know I see what he's asking. It's a Combo disk. A dual sided release, with the regular SD DVD verions on one side, the HD-DVD version on the other. Only one disk. But still, the answer to your question is no. TrueHD and DD+ are strictly HD audio formats, and the only way to play the back is it play the disk on an HD-DVD player.

8. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

mackdl is indeed correct. Superman Returns is in combo format and according to this review the Dolby TruHD soundtrack is EXCELLENT:

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/supermanreturns.html

So Superman kicks Batman's @$$ when it comes to Dolby TruHD audio!

Unfortunately for jlg895, the Dolby TruHD track is on the HD-DVD side and at present I don't know of any way to "extract" this data from the disc.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2006
  9. jlg895

jlg895 Regular member

now I know this may sound funny, but what would the hd-dvd player look like on a standard tv. that way i could still get the true dd

10. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

It will look better then a regular dvd. Cleaner, a tad sharper and with somewhat better colors. But you'll be missing a lot not having the extra resolution and detail that would come with a nice HDTV.

11. jlg895

jlg895 Regular member

Yeah I work at sears right now and have had my eye on the Sony 50 sxrd since the day it came in. but right now I have some extra xmas money just not enough to get the t.v. yet. thanks for all the advice. Happy Holidays!