1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surge Protector

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by tru003, Jan 14, 2006.

1. tru003

tru003 Regular member

Do I really need to purchase Monster Cable Surge Protector (MPHT700HP)for my home theater? Or should I just stick with a regular surge protector? I just believe that the Monster Surge protector price is jacked up too high.
    Samsung HLR5667W 56"
    Bose speakers
    Sony progressive scan dvd player
    Yamaha receiver
    PS2
    Directv HD receiver and Tivo
    VCR

2. gear79

gear79 Guest

you dont have to buy the monster, do do invest some $$$ in a good one cuz after all, you did spend alot of $$$ in the first place.

it's kinda like changing the oil in your car without doing the filter......... not having a surge protector.

look on ebay for those monster surge protectors, they have better deals anyway.

3. tru003

tru003 Regular member

Thanks! Is there any other good brands?

4. gear79

gear79 Guest

besides monster, there is belkin, pure av, cyber power, apc..

if you have a circuit city or best buy, check em out. even some hig end computer shops have them... just be sure that they are rated for home theater use...

5. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Yes surge protection, power filtering, voltage regulation, and battery back-ups are all important.

Ced

6. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

7. tru003

tru003 Regular member

Thanks fellas!

8. dvdS.L.S

dvdS.L.S Member

Hi Guys,
    Does anyone know anybody who EVER had their
    TV screwed up due to NOT having a surge bar?
    I have watched many programs during horrendous
    lighting storms for the past 40 years and have
    never had a problem.Neither has anyone that I
    know.Currently I live in an area that has both
    power failures and brown outs all the time and
    it also has never caused a problem.
    Isn't a surge bar just another baby blanket
    used to sell another product and make the
    consumer feel protected?
    Any thoughts on this?
    DVDDIVA

9. ozzy214

ozzy214 Regular member

Google for a emp blast from a nuclear bomb. A lightning strike to ground emp pulse is quivalent to a nuclear bomb. So why do you think we have surge protectors? It helps cushion against the emp blast going the lines...still dont protect through air. But every bit helps. BUt usually I think more than anything is the emp blast that kills electronics not the surge of electricity.">

10. gear79

gear79 Guest

better to be safe then sorry... if you have spent thousands of dollars on equipment, dont you think it is wise to have some protection.. cuz there is always the 'what if'..

and they will cover you if you register your equipment.. so i'd say investing a mere 100 bucks in a good protector is well worth the extra $$

11. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Thats why you need a power-line filter not just a surge protector. A good surge protector has at least one filter for 75 OHM coaxial runs (for things like Cable tv, Satalight, and OTA Antennas) and one filter for phone line runs (for things like tivo). Cleaning the power that goes into your a/v system helps maintain your products, improve proformance, as well as protect it from spikes and surges.

The most damaging spikes and surges happen all the time without you knowing. Everytime you or your neighbors use an electronic device it creates noise (dirt).

Check out Howstuffworks for more info:
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/surge-protector1.htm

----

How deep does the rabbit hole go?

Monster Clean Power:
    http://www.monstercable.com/power/

Belkin Power:
    http://www.pureav.com/power/

----

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2006
  12. PennRon

PennRon Regular member

hi:

To answer the question do you know of anyone who has damaged equipment during a storm? I know of just one person, my brother. He lives in Marlboro, NJ. About 2 or 3 years ago during a summer storm one of his garage door openers failed. Also during that storm his internal modem, and Infinity 250 watt powered sub woofer (no protection) and door bell failed. All had to be repaired or replaced.

The sub woofer was plugged into a wall outlet away from the heart of the system which is not protected (he has a $10 outlet strip) just to connect everything. REGARDS

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006