1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV2000/Walmart

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by soschief, Jan 8, 2007.

1. soschief

soschief Member

Group-Does anyone have any experience with Walmart's brand they now push, the SV2000, with or without the hard drive? I know there had been a lot of discussion about their previous one, Ilo. thanks. Jim

2. burninmad

burninmad Member

I just ordered this from Wal-Mart for $57.Should be here this week.I been using a Cyberhome 1600mu ,for 7 months ,and took it back to Circuit City for a refund!Wouldn't do ANYTHING anymore.But I did get 150 movies burned!Copies of my personal VHS tapes and Movies off TV.Circuit City originally wouldn't give me the 30 day warranty extension that Cyberhome promised if I registered it online.But Cyberhome got RAIDED by FBI in Fremont,Ca.,and seized 20000 DVD recoreders!Apparently they "forgot" to pay Philips for their License agreement(Technology)!My Bro also just got a SV2000 with VCR and has been working OK.So hopefully I will hook my SV up today or???Get back to ya,as I think after my Cyberhome,I've run into EVERY problem a DVDR can have!!I think I got my education on that machine.After several conversations with Circuit City,They were onna let me buy a better quality unit,but the Pye offered ,wasn't available,and Customer Service at my store was so kind as to refund my$$$$83,which I thought was outstanding!However,I've learned that retailers who've sold these Cyberhome products,Wal-Mart,Target ,Fry's,Circuit City ,etc.,Are Also included in the Indictment!Burninmad DVD fool will be back soon with "new" DVD recorder(SV2000),results!

3. burninmad

burninmad Member

I got my Walmart SV2000 on 01/08/07,and hooked 'er up!No problem with recording to date.Only one thing I might mention is Timer Programming.I sometimes set Timer during daylight hours ,while still watching TV ,as I'm on Permenant Disability,I'm a "Burnin Fool",as I like to say! I got plenty of time to Record!This unit appears to work in Timer Programs only when shut off.My other Extinct Cyberhome 1600mu ,did program timer ,while still on.The various brands of DVD's ,I've recorded,Sony=R,Memorex-R,Sony=RW,and various leftovers from my Cyberhome attempted Recordings!Some discs from my Cyberhome that read "disc error","no disc",etc.,work fine on this unit!So I didn't waste my disca left over ,that wouldn't work on the Cyberhome.My Brother also has the SV2000 combo DVD/VCR(same number too!),and hasn't had ANY problems.So,I think after 50 or so DVD's ,I got my $$$ worth!burninmad

4. jda37219

jda37219 Member

I would not buy anything from walmart that is their crappy store brand. I learned the hard way and have an ilo paperweight that cost me 100 dollars.
    Stick with a major company that has been in business for 20 years or more.
    The panasonic es15 now goes for 130 at walmart online, i love mine.

Just my thoughts...good luck

5. soschief

soschief Member

I went ahead and bought ghe SV,after som Internet investigation, and it has served me well, so far. the learning curve was steep, being used to a LIte-on, but once I learned it, no problem. I thought all recorders had to be turned off to use the timer---my Lite-On does, too, and a Samsung VCR I have is the same.
    It seems to play any DVR movie, from itself or the Lite-on, and many of my computer-made disks---the onew I cut the spped on. I found out it wasn't so much the brand as the recording speed. 2X seems to be playable on any DVD player.
    My only complaint is thie one I've always had, even back in the days of strictly VCR's. I have a cable box for the premium channels, which ar put out at higher channel numbers(500's for HBO' 600's for Shotime, etc)and my recorders only can go to 125. I have an old 8780 onefor all remote that can program internally, and shootws an infrared wave to change any channel, but it's getting old, and doesn't always respond---and isn't made anymore. Any hints would be appreciated, as I can only time-record if all is on the same channel. JIm

6. burninmad

burninmad Member

I don't use the channels to tune,on my SV2000.I only use my Satelite box.It may be the way you hooked your unit up.I use the E1 (Rear) S-Viseo input,and the S-video out to TV and Component cables to Surround Sony Amp.I've never had to tune my channel on the DVDR ,except when I accidently hit 7,which is above display on the remote.Then I go to the Up/dwn arroe Channel buttons ,back to channel 4.My Satelite box goes through my SV2000 and I tune the Sat. box from Channels 5 to in the 9000 range!(Music)Sirius ,part of Dishnetwork programming!

7. jda37219

jda37219 Member

just curious, why would you buy some generic wal mart crap when you could of spent 30 dollars extra and got a panasonic?

8. soschief

soschief Member

"Why" is a good question, especially with all of the complaints about Ilo in the past(from Walmart). I did some research, however, on SV, and found out it was from Funai, who used to make for RadioShack and Zenith, and I had had a small tv/vcr (15")by them that lasted and lasted, until I gave it to my son for college. Thus, some confidence, once I found the origin. Otherwise, I'd have looked for another Lite-On, even for another hundred, as I have nothing but good to say about them. It goes way beyond expectations, Jim

9. soschief

soschief Member

To burninmad--I understand your setup, but I still don'd see how you'd record more than one channel at a time, without manually switching your Dishnet receiver(where I use my cable box). I would think you'd have the same problem, going from your box , through your SV, as the SV is set to receive, and the disnetwork box is really your RT tuner. If at 11pm,you wanted to record HBO, but at 1:eek:oam, Shotime, there isn't a mechanbism to switch the channels, as would be on the SV. The Dish-box would continue to push signal from HBO (first setting), in spite of the SV as "thinking" it had changed(it was set to receives/burn E1, regardless of what signal was being sent. My old 8780 would switch the casble box(or your dish) via infra red, externally, as the old VCR's used to do it internally, via their own rf tuner. Jim

10. burninmad

burninmad Member

I guess I misunderstand you about how you tune your channels? I don't/can't record ,more than one channel at a time.I also have found out the ONLY thing a Cyberhome(EXTINCT)DVD recorder could do,was Timer Program ,while the unit remains on.Say you're watching a program,and step out for a few minutes,leave your setup on,and absolutely don't want to miss a "special" recording.The Cyberhome would come on even though I hadn't turned the unit off yet.So this SV2000 by Funai for $57 at Walmart online,I got my moneys worth ,I think,I've "burned" 50 or more DVD's!No problem but ONE ,Memorex DVD-R,on sale at Kmart,25 pack.All the rest worked even rejects from Cyberhome recording errors!Panasonic was my preference,as my TV is now,but couldn't "swing" that extra $bucks.

11. thekid99

thekid99 Member

I am trying to copy some old high school football and basketball tapes. The record starts just fine but at some points in the recording process it get an error.

It says something like Can not record blah blah....
    Why>boon_dt@hotmail.com? The VHS should not be copy protected or anything b/c they are home made or were done by the High school video staff.
    COuld it be the player??

12. burninmad

burninmad Member

What Brand DVD's are you using? I've only had One error in 100 recordings.I can't remember what brand it was,but where I live out here in the Mountains,The nearest major retailer is Kmart!They only carry Memorex-R and Sony+R.Also used a few Sony+RW and Office Depot +RW ,but haven't had any problems but on Timer starting ,while unit is on.Otherwise,I been doin it all ,with NO problemms.Are you using the front E2 input?On the SV2000?Could be an input source or? I had that problem early on,wrong input.