1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVCD and file sizes

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by monarols, Sep 26, 2004.

1. monarols

monarols Member

Hello there. I have just finished successfully capturing my first material off VHS, which I intend to make into a SVCD.

I was under the impression that an SVCD could hold 60 minutes of captured material on a 700mb CD-R

The card I have is an GeXcube 9600 Pro (VIVO) and have been using ATI MMC 9.1 as the capture software, and was very happy with the captured result.

The Capture settings I used were the SVCD (PAL) profile in ATI MMC, that being 480x576 PAL 625 Mpeg-2

I captured 2 programs, 1 running for 25 mins and the other for 29 minutes, the resulting file sizes were 429 and 469mb, both with an .mpg extension.

Nero calculates the 2 files to be 775mb after i have added them to the SVCD.

Using "700mb/80min" marked CD-R's and Nero 6.0.0.11, when I try to burn the SVCD, nero shows a message that there is not enough space on the CD-R, and gives me no option, but to discard it.

Any help appreciated for this first timer :) Cheers Chris

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Well, I cannot understand why your .MPGs are SO LARGE.
    I ripped a SVCD about 1h long and I had a 738,908,828 bytes large output .mpg file, and therefore the assumption "a 60' SVCD movie fits on a 700 MB CD-R" is correct.
    Maybe the resolution of those two Mpegs is NOT like a SVCD but larger (e.g. 700x600)?
    What happens if you convert the .MPGs into SVCD MPEG-2 with TMPGenc? Do their dimensions change (as it should be)?

3. monarols

monarols Member

Thanks for your reply aldaco12. The SVCD "profile" in ATI MMC is automatically set for 480x576 PAL 625 Mpeg-2 @ 2.0 Mbit/sec.

Havent tried any convertions yet as I hoped you could just capture str8 to .mpg, then burn as an SVCD :-(

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Well, therefore: I'm sorry but you'll be forced to use a SVCD PAL TMPGenc's conversion (or the "60' rule" will be no more valid).