1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVCD format files on DVD?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Vidiootti, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Vidiootti

Vidiootti Member

Hi
    I'm saving my digicam videos on SVCD today.
    Since I have DVD-burner It came to my mind that, would it be possible to burn those MPG-files on DVD and be able to watch it on DVD-player/TV?
    I'm using Nero &.XX to burd CD's & DVD's.

When edited in Pinnacle Studio, I can burn ap. 45 mins of video on one 700MB CD. On DVD I should be able to burn over 3 hours of video on one 4.7GB DVD... right?

Is this possible with Nero? Or any SW?
    Thanks for advance...

2. whassup

whassup Regular member

Yeah, it's possible but why not burn it at DVD bitrates? I used to do DV at 2400kbps (SVCD) and there was still noticeable pixelation. Now, I do it at 4000-5000 kbps (min) and it's waaayyyy better!

Anyways, to answer your question, encode it into elemental streams (making sure your audio is 48KHz). Load up DVD-Lab which will work with these files without any problems although it will complain when you import them. Lots of guides on how to author and burn DVD's on this site, doom9.org, or dvdrhelp.com.

One problem though: not a lot of stand-alones are able to play these VCD/SVCD-DVD hybrids.

Lastly, you mention you're editing with Pinnacle Studio. You're not actually using that proggy to convert to SVCD, right? It's much better to use a dedicated encoder and you get a lot more control.

3. Vidiootti

Vidiootti Member

Yes, I use Pinnacle Studio to edit and to make MPEG-file. I will make SVCD with Nero 6.3.xx.
    Is there a better way?
    I have plans to buy Pinnacle Liquid Pro, but it probably will not do any difference.

I have tried the other way around. To burn to CD and increase 2400kbps to 6000kbps, but I will have sound and image faults when playing in DVD-player.

I think I just have to burn a few DVD+RW's to test witch settigs are best for me.

But if you know a better way to do SVCD or DVD that Pnnacle -> MPEG -> Nero -> SVCD please share it with me.
    Thanks.

4. porcinet

porcinet Member

I have a similar question because i've burned VCD. Now that i have a dvd burner, i'd like to put this 6 vcd of 700Mb into a single DVD-R (4700Mb)without re-encoding the files so that their size don't change.

How is it possible and what program do i need

Last but not least, will it be readable on a stand alone player (or some of them)

5. whassup

whassup Regular member

Same way. Demux, and re-sample the audio to 48KHz. Use DVD-Lab to author.

As for stand-alone compatibility, why not just try a 10 sec clip and burn onto a RW? They generally don't work as well on "name brand" players but work great on cheapies.

6. whassup

whassup Regular member

Sorry, didn't see it sooner. Use Pinnacle to output the DV Avi (Type II). Load up TMPGEnc to encode to MPEG.

Using the built-in encoder in Pinnacle will output crappy results regardless of outputting SVCD or DVD.

7. Vidiootti

Vidiootti Member

NP. Thanks, whassup.
    I'll try that.