1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVCD read problems

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by ArsnLupin, Aug 3, 2003.

1. ArsnLupin

ArsnLupin Member

I have a fewmovies in svcd format that i want to read. I used WinIso to extract the bin file, it gives me a few folders including a mpeg2 folder that contains a AVSEQ01.mpeg file(approximately 700MB). I tried to read the file, but the video and audio are unreadable, like if it was encrypted. What should i do if i simply want to read the movie on my computer, i don't have the intention to burn it.
    Thanks in advance

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Try BS Player or Zoom Player(free software). WinDVD or PowerDVD will play the file but not freebies.

http://www.doom9.net
    Go to downloads>Media Players.

Shoey :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Forum Rules^
    Mobo: KT4VL MSI-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2.5
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd

[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2003
  3. ArsnLupin

ArsnLupin Member

I already have PowerDVD 4 but it still doesn't work, it reads the mpeg file extraced like if it was encrypted. Bplay doesn't work either.
    :[

4. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Burn the cue file using burnatonce and see if the movie will playback from a cd-r(w). The file "should" play using PowerDVD.....

burnatonce:http://www.burnatonce.com/downloads/

Shoey :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Mobo: MSI KT4VL-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2500+
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    Maxtor ATA\133 80 gig hd
    DVD-ROM: LiteOn LTD 165H
    CDRW: Memorex52MAXX 2452[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2003
  5. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Another solution would be to extract the MPEG file using something like CDMage and, with Nero, select SuperVideoCD and burning the MPEG file. That should work then :)

6. Shoey

Shoey Guest

If he\she burns that method and it plays back on his\her dvd player then he\she can only ff, fr. If he\she burns bin& cue format then he\she can actually scroll throgh the chapters of the backup. This is why I no longer burn "mpeg", rather bin& cue= the absolute best method.

Shoey :)

7. Praetor

Wow i didnt know about that :D .... I dont burn much (S)VCDs .... I'm more of an AVI fan. I will definitely keep that in mind! Cheers

8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Me neither until I purchased a much larger hd so I could create bin& cue file format (DVD2SVCD\VCDXBuild). If you have an extra 1.5-2 gig free space ona partitined hd then when you convert an AVI to SVCD, go to the CDImage tab folder (DVD2SVCD) and enable VCDXBuild and when all finished, you'll have 1-3 bin& cue file(s). Use whatever program you wan't to burn the cue's and play the backup and your home dvd player "should" be able to scroll through the chapters of the backup.

9. ArsnLupin

ArsnLupin Member

I finally managed to get something out of my files : Using ISOBuster, I extract only the AVSEQ01 file, with the option 'extract raw but convert to user date'. I have absolutely no idea what that changes, but it gives me a file that I ca, actually read on my computer. I don't know why it didn't give the same result with WinISO, but hey, now it works fine. And like I said, I didn't actually want to burn them, I just wanted to watch & keep them on my HD.
    Still, Shoey, thanks for the tip, the bin&cue method seems better!

10. Shoey

Shoey Guest

ArsnLupin,
    Why not burn the cue using bunatonce as a backup to cd-r. If your system crashes then your... well...you know (hehe).

burnatonce: http://www.burnatonce.com/downloads/

11. ArsnLupin

ArsnLupin Member

Yeah, Shoey, I know what you mean, it's just that I've got a few movies (not that much but around 30/40), and that means that if I start burning, it'll take some time and I'll have to buy at least 50 CD's. But it's true, if one day my computer crashes... beuh, I just hate to think about it. Well I guess I could by some DVDr's but they're not that cheap!

12. Praetor

Nah... DVDRs (the 4.7GB ones at least) are fairly cheap (at least I think so :p), at 0.90 CAD apiece -- its the burner that will cost you! :)

13. ArsnLupin

ArsnLupin Member

For the DVD burner, that's ok i've already got it! I've just never used it for now.
    Here a pack of 10 DVDr is around 70 euros for the cheapest. That's 70e for 43,8G of data. If it's just about backing up your data or movies or whatever, you wight as well buy a HD, it's a lot cheaper. And that's what I just did, I ordered a 120G HD for roughly 100e (100$); cheaper and more convenient than DVD's!!

14. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Are these dvd rips\encode of your own or internet downloads? Just curious m8.

15. ArsnLupin

ArsnLupin Member

No, these are of course my own DVD backups, just in case they all suddenly break or get scratched or whatever. ;)
    I don't download any movies because it's illegal. And I don't want to be a criminal!!
    :eek:

16. Shoey

Shoey Guest

[bold]How to backup your DVD to DVD_R [/bold]
    ===============================================
    There are many options and lots of different software now available to let you backup your own DVD collection. I'm sure there will be more to come. I have read lots of stuff and tried lots of software (not all!) and what I have set out below is what I have finally settled on to do my backups. I'm not saying its the best method (its defenitely not the worst!), but it works for me. There may be quicker, easier and certainly harder ways of doing it all, but this is what I have settled on doing as it provides the full flexibility and playback compatability I need. For the re-encoded ones, CCE gives the best quality output and in the quickest time. Most people would have difficulties distinguishing it from the original on playback, I cant.

As a minimum I backup my DVD's to 1 DVDR consisting of the Movie only with 1 audio track, no menu, no extras. If there is room I will add them in, but only if there is room on the DVDR. If it needs to be re-encoded to fit, then I will do so. Many will not agree with this and want original Menus, extras, all Audio & subs, etc. This tutorial will not help those that want all that.

To backup your DVD's to 1 DVD±R, there are 3 basic types of DVD's I cover here:

Type 1. DVD is a DVD5 (Single layer < 4.37gb)
    Type 2. DVD is a DVD9 (double layer > 4.37gb) but maim movie + audio is < 4.37gb
    Type 3. DVD is a DVD9 (double layer > 4.37gb) but maim movie + audio is > 4.37gb

With Type 1, you end up with a direct copy of your DVD exactly the same way the original was. Thats the movie, any extras, all audio tracks and all sub-titles together with original Menu. However, it will now be multi-zoned, no macrovision and all encryption removed.

With Type 2, you end up with Main Movie plus at least 1 audio track. If there is room, additional Audio, Subtitles or Menus could be incorporated. No re-encoding needed.

With Type 3, you end up with Main Movie plus 1 audio track and re-encoding to a lower video bitrate is needed. In theory there is a drop in quality, in reality I'm unable to see the difference from the original.

Software needed to be installed:

1. DVD Decrypter for Type 1,2&3
    or SmartRipper 2.41 for Type 2&3
    2. ChapterXtractor 0.962 or later (from http://christophe.paris.free.fr/main.php3 ) For Type 2&3
    3. DVD Maestro 2.9 (No demo available since Sonic was bought by Apple) For Type 2&3
    4. Nero 5.5.9.x for Type 2&3
    5. DVD2SVCD For Type 3 only
    6. Cinema Craft Encoder 2.50 ONLY (demo from http://www.doom9.org/software.htm ) For Type 3 only
    7. SubRip 1.14 or later ( from http://zuggy.wz.cz/ ) For type 2&3 if needed.

You will also need a Computer with:

* Windows 2000 or XP installed.
    * Video screen set to 1024x768, but 1280x720 is preferred for authoring.
    * A valid ASPI layer may need to be present.
    * A Pentium III 550mhz or equivalent as a minimum (needed for CCE to run).
    * At least 128meg memory, 256meg preferred.
    * An internal DVD Rom player (any speed), can use your burner though.
    * Hard drive NTFS formatted with DMA turned on and at least 15 gb FREE space in one partition.
    * A DVD-R or +R burner to produce the DVD and a few good quality DVD blanks.
    * A sound card and DVD software player to check the finished product.

Tips before we get started:

* Turn OFF your Screen Saver, it will simply slow the conversion down substantially.
    * Do not run any other program in the background while DVD2SVCD is running, especially if you have a slower computer.
    * Turn the screens colour depth to 16bit colour or better.
    * Re-boot the computer BEFORE you start any re-encoding. This is an important step !

So you have downloaded the software and checked that you have the right stuff in your computer. Sounds good, then lets get stuck into it!

[bold]Step 1: Checking the type of DVD. [/bold]

1. Put the DVD into the DVDROM (or DVDBurner) and stop any auto bootup (hold down Shift key).
    2. Run Explorer and highlight the DVD, right click and go to properties. It will indicate the DVD size in Gigabytes.
    3. If its less than 4.37 gig, then its a DVD-5 or single layer DVD. I call this Type 1.
    4. If greater than 4.37 gig, then its a DVD-9 or double layer DVD and what I call Type 2 or 3.
    5. Now while still in Explorer, check the VIDEO_TS folder of the DVD and look for the largest VOB file group. This will be something like:

VTS_01_1 VOB 1,048,565,696
    VTS_01_2 VOB 1,048,565,696
    VTS_01_3 VOB 1,048,565,696
    VTS_01_4 VOB 1,048,565,696
    VTS_01_5 VOB 1,048,565,696
    VTS_01_6 VOB 589,365,248

6. In this example the total movie VOB size is about 5.5 gig and if it contains many Audio tracks and subtitles, then selection one audio only, then it may be small enough to be what I call Type 2.
    7. If its 6 gig or more, it will be a Type 3 and a re-encode needed. These are typically 2hr or longer movies (but not always).

[bold]Step 2: Backing up DVD-5, Single Layer or Type 1 DVD's [/bold]

1. Run your DVD player (WinDVD or PowerDVD) to play the movie for a few seconds. This Un-locks the drive to help DVDDecrypter actually rip the files to HD.
    2. Run DVDDecrypter and press the R key. This selects Mode to be ISO Read.
    3. For Source, point to the DVD if you have more than one DVD Reader/Writer installed.
    4. A Destination and file name will be selected automatically, however, you can change this manually if you wish.
    5. Hit the big O |> HD button and an ISO image of the DVD will be be written to you HD shortly. This can take from 5min to 30min depending on the DVD and hardware setup.
    6. You now have an ISO file of the entire DVD complete with everything intact but it now is Multiregion, no Macrovision and no CSS encryption.
    6. Place a DVD±R blank into your burner, now press W. This selects Mode to be ISO Write.
    7. For Source, browse to your newly written ISO file. Your burner should be auto selected. Set Data Type to Mode1/2048, Write Mode to DVD and Write Speed to what ever the speed of your media is rated at.
    8. Hit the big HD |> O button and your first burn starts. It takes approx. 56min for a 1x, 28min for 2x and 15min for 4x burns.
    9. Thats it, finished, nothing else to do other than play it on your DVD Player, sit back and enjoy.

[bold]Step 3: Backing up DVD-9, Double Layer or Type 2 DVD's where Movie + Audio is under 4.37gig [/bold]

1. Run your DVD player (WinDVD or PowerDVD) to play the movie for a few seconds. This Un-locks the drive to help DVDDecrypter actually rip the files to HD.
    2. Run DVDDecrypter and hit I. This selects IFO mode. You can also use SmartRipper if you prefer, its similar but option/settings are in different places.
    3. Select for Source the DVDROM unit that holds the DVD. It will automatically detect the Movie files and suggest a Destination folder name where the ripped files will go. Change if necessary.
    4. In Tools / Settings / IFO Mode, set the File Splitting to None and tick "Chapter Information - DVDMaestro". Leave all others alone, then click OK.
    5. Now click on the Stream Processing Tab and tick the box for Enable Stream Processing. Untick ALL except the first track 0xE0 Video -...... and at least 1 Audio track. Normally the 0x80 Audio AC3 /6ch/English is directly under the Video track.
    6. Highlight the Video track and click the Demux check box. Highlight the Audio track and click the Demux check box.
    7. Now click the large O |> HD button and ripping begins. Soon, you will end up with a large (approx. 4 gig) *.M2V video file and a *.AC3 audio file on your HD. There will also be a Chapters *.CHP file. Any other files are not needed and can be deleted if necessary.
    8. You can also use ChapterXtractor to get the *.CHP file.
    9. If you need Subtitles, you need to extract these with SubRip from the DVD also. 10. Check with Explorer that the Video + Audio file(s) is below 4.27 gig in size as Authoring will add approx. 0.1 gig.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2003