1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

svcd to avi on computer

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by dumbskate, Mar 7, 2004.

1. dumbskate

dumbskate Guest

ok here is the deal i am making a snowboard video and i have been given a promotional svcd from a brand.
    i need to rip and convert this to avi so i can edit it in premiere.

so my question is what programme should i get to rip svcd's (and even dvd's sorry for mentioning it here) to a avi file on my computor

thanx all

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can Import the SVCD File directly into Premier without converting it to AVI..Converting the SVCD to AVI will degrade the Quality and then when you render the Project in Premier you will also Loose More Quality so the less you convert the Better off you will be ...I don"t Know what version of Premier you are useing But I know for a Fact the Premier 6 and 6.5 and 7 pro will import Mpeg2 files(That is what SVCD"s are) to edit...If you are Just going to do Cut and Paste editing on the SVCD/Mpeg2 file then useing a Real Mpeg2 editor would be the best Bet because it will Losslessly edit the SVCD File so you do not loose any Quality when editing, Something Like "Womble Mpeg2VCR" is good for this...What is your Final Output Format?? Are you going to eventually Burn this Project to DVD?? If so then you can edit in a Real Mpeg editor Like Mpeg2VCR and then Author the Edited Mpeg2/SVCD File to a Non-Standard DVD with should Play in Most DVD Players....
    To Transfer the SVCD/Mpeg2 file to your PC all you need to do is Go on to the SVCD Disk into the "Mpeg2" or "MpegAV" folder and Copy the "AVSEQ01.MPG" file to your Desktop and that is it..If you want to rip DVD"s to your Hard Drive you will need a DVD Ripper Like "DVD Decryptor" or "Smartripper"...Good Luck ...Cheers