1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVCD too big

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by skmills, Feb 2, 2005.

1. skmills

skmills Member

I hope it's alright for me to post this here - I posted it in the CDR forum before I realized that SVCD questions aren't allowed in most forums here. Anyway, appreciate any help..

I used DVD2SVCD to convert a ripped DVD to SVCD. I followed a guide (and this is actually the 3rd or 4th time I've done this, so I'm getting used to it), but when all was said and done, the second of the two disc images was too big to fit on an 80min CDR. I have the first one burned and ready to go (no problems with that one), but the second one won't burn. Nero tells me I require 706MB as opposed to the 702 on the disc, while CDRWin just says that the CDROM drive rejected the cuesheet. Any way of fixing this without encoding again? Thanks,

John

2. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

For an SVCD you should be able to fit ~800MB's due to the mpg track being burnt mode2 form2.

Have you tried overburning?

3. skmills

skmills Member

Hi,

I should have stated before that I understand this - the actual file is 811MB, I get the error about it being 706MB after loading the cue file. So, despite the fact that I chose 800MB or 80min CDs in DVD2SVCD, the bin files it made were actually too big for an 80 min CD. But like I said, the first image was perfect at 805MB. I can't even try to burn the second image, though - both Nero and CDRWin reject it. Thanks,

john

4. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

For the small amount over I would just overburn. It is however possible to damage your hardware doing so (most apps will point this out) however I have never heard of it happening.

5. skmills

skmills Member

Hi,

I tried overburning with Nero - I endabled overburning and set the max. CD size to 90, then 95min - Still, every time I click "Burn", Nero tells me that there is not enough room to record this compilation on this disc and to please insert another disc.

So, I guess the short answer is that there is no way to shrink this image or anything of the sort, and there is no way to ensure that DVD2SVCD will not produce images bigger than it says it will.

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

What you can do is extract the Mpeg-2 file out of the Bin file and then use a Mpeg editor to Cut a couple minutes of the Credits off the end of the Movie and then you can Burn the edited SVCD/Mpeg-2 file to CD-R with Nero in SVCD Mode....

Cheers

7. skmills

skmills Member

Thanks for the advice. Cheers.