1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

svcd with vcd headers?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by gypsy1963, Oct 24, 2003.

1. gypsy1963

gypsy1963 Member

what does this mean? ive heard that this might make a svcd work on a dvd stand alone that only plays vcd...is this true?

more importantly...how do i do this?

2. alxdotnet

alxdotnet Guest

Yes, it works on some DVD players. The reason why, I think, is because both SVCD and DVD video is in the MPEG-2 format. Although a standalone player might not recognize an SVCD disc (the manufacturer didn't or couldn't include SVCD support), it could still read the video file. The SVCD header trick replaces the header at the beginning of the MPEG-2 file that identifies it as MPEG-2 with a header that claims to be an MPEG-1 file. The DVD player sees this fake MPEG-1 header and tries to play the file. The key is that the player chooses a decompression routine independent of what the header is, so the file is actually decompressed with the player's MPEG-2 routines. This works only on those players that don't use the header to select a decompressor and support different MPEG-2 bitrate.

As for how to do this, a guide I found at VCDEasy.org explains it best in my opinion:
    http://www.vcdeasy.org/modules.php?name=_Guides&id=VcdTrick

Good luck with it! Post again if you have any more questions.
    -Alex