1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVCDs appear skipping frames while using Buslink drv

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by nba, Feb 6, 2003.

1. nba

nba Member

Hi,

I have burnt SVCDs using 3 different programs. All the discs when played, appear to be skipping frames and this is visible when the subject is moving a bit fast, not on a slow moving subject.

This appears to be a result of my drive. Its a
    Buslink 40x16x48 - shown as CW079D (from
    CyberDrive). Any suggestions about this drive?

I am not even able to find the latest firmware
    for this.

Thanks

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

skipping frames?? sounds like a very famous TMPGEnc problem. Does it seem to skip only a couple of frames every second or 2?? Of course if you didn't use TMPGEnc to encode it then disregard this post!

3. nba

nba Member

Thats right, I used TMPGEnc to encode. And the frames keep skipping every 1 or 2 secs. But I thought TMPGEnc is the best - is'nt it? Is there a work-around for this problem - please let me know.

The mpeg seems to be ok when played on PC. Also, a simple prof svcd copy to a new disk using Nero cd-to-cd on the fly induces such frame skipping when played - hence my doubt that the Buslink drv could be the culprit...

Thanks.

4. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

Any particular reason why you posted that 15 times?

Deleted now.

Paul.

5. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

CCE SP is the best for SVCD, TMPGEnc is the best for VCD! You would have to use CCE SP with something like DVD2SVCD htough because it is a hard program to use other wise!!

6. sambs0

sambs0 Member

What I need, please: where can I get the correct detailed information and firmware updates on the drive?
    -------------------------------
    I got this drive today: Buslink (Cyberdrive?) USB2, assembled in the USA. The Nero Burning ROM (ver. 5.5.10.15a), InfoTool and DiskSpeed identify it as CW079D, ver. 11SJ. The Nero DriveSpeed does not recognize it at all!?
    The box says it's 40x/12x/48x while the front panel spells 40x/16x/48x. The manual (so called User Guide, extremely crumpy) points to the label on the box, not to the front panel!?.
    Yet, I did not get a chance to test its writing (at this time, I don't care much about rewriting) but the reading abilities seem to be pretty good. At least, it goes through a scratchy along the tracks CDR very well reporting just two damaged sectors only. For a comparison: Sony CRX220E1 reports 17 damaged sectors on it; even Hitachi DVD reader (definitely a good CDR reader) GD-5000 reports 10 of them; CenDyne 4824P can't read it at all.
    Nero Advanced DAE Quality test gives somewhat different information. The test disk is read with many errors so that the quality score is 97%. Copying on the fly at 8x is bad.
    Additionally, by the Nero, the drive does have a buffer underrun protection while has no write speed control.
    All over all, it seems to be a below than average burner but a good buy for its price ($55. after rebate).
    Without any firmware updates, however... Well, I'd be thinking about returning it back.
    Any help on this is highly appreciated.