1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SVChost.exe

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Heather59, Aug 30, 2014.

1. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Yeah, Alryss, you and I know that. I was just stating my feelings after removing that dam thing from newbie computers every few days.... :eek:

2. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Hi Alryss, sorry it took me so long. The first 2 programs will clean any leftovers from junkware and the 3rd should fix your problem with permissions. (hopefully)

[​IMG] Fix with AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save the file to your desktop.

• Right-click on [​IMG] icon and select [​IMG] Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    • Follow the prompts and click Scan.
    • When finished, please click Clean.
    • Upon completion, click Report. A log (AdwCleaner[S*].txt) will open.

Please include the contents of that file in your reply.

- - - - NEXT - - - -

This program will backup the registry so we can fix it if something turns up missing again. o_O

[​IMG] Fix with Junkware Removal Tool

Please download JRT by Thisisu and save the file to your desktop.
    Temporary disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware protection - instructions here.

• Right-click on [​IMG] icon and select [​IMG] Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    • Follow the prompts and let this process run uninterrupted.
    • This scan can take a while, depending on your System specs.
    • Upon completion, a log (JRT.txt) will open on your desktop.
    Please include the contents of that file in your reply.

Please also manually reboot your machine after this procedure.

- - - - NEXT - - - -

Download and install [​IMG]Windows Repair (All in One) from this site.

• Temporary disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware protection - instructions here.
    • Right-click on [​IMG] shortcut icon and select [​IMG] Run as Administrator to start the tool.

[​IMG]
    1. Open the Repairs Tab.
    2. Un-check the 'automatically do a registry backup' box. This is not working but a Registry Backup was made when you ran JRT.
    3. Click Open Repairs.

[​IMG]
    1. Under the left column click Select All.
    2. Un-check Nos. 18, 20 and 28 thru 31.
    3. Check Restart/Shutdown and click Restart System.
    4. Click Start Repairs.

Now, make a pot of coffee or get a bucket of beer and take it easy for a while. This takes some time and will reboot when done.

Let me know if this takes care of your problem.....
    2oG :)

3. Alryss

Alryss Member

I've been very busy, the past few days, vut am working on the above steps. I will post the results when I am finished. I have to get my house ready for the white stuff (coming soon, to a northern state near you! lol)

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

hopefully not for a couple more months at least in this province north of you but not in alberta.

5. Alryss

Alryss Member

lol It's one of those things you learn to be ready for when you live in cold country. The only alternative is, move south. I lived in Florida for a while and, other than the fishing, hated it. Even in the winter, it was too hot.
    2oG-- Here are the results from the latest programs run. I may have another problem to discuss, but it may have been resolved with this last fix. I'll check it out and let you know. It had to do with DNS resolution. It kept sending me to a Yahoo search page. I'll check it out, again, when I get some outside things done. Thank you, both, so much.

Attached Files:

6. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I thought we had taken care of that.... Looked back and FRST failed to remove it :(

Run this and it will take care of the re-direct to yahoo search:

Please download ZOEK by Smeenk and save it to your desktop (preferred version is the *.exe one)
    Please also download the attached scriptfile, named zoekscript.txt.

[​IMG] Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware programs, so they do not interfere with the running of Zoek.exe. You can find instructions how to disable your security applications here.

Now, on your Desktop, drag and drop zoekscript.txt on Zoek.exe as shown below:
    [​IMG]

Please approve any UAC prompt to allow this action to proceed.

Answer Yes to the following prompt to allow the zoek script to run:

[​IMG]

This action causes Zoek.exe to start automatically. Please be patient while Zoek is scanning.

When the tool finishes, the zoek-results.log is opened in Notepad.
    The log is also found on the systemdrive, normally C:\
    If a reboot is needed, the log is opened after the reboot.

Please post the zoek-results.log in your reply.

Attached Files:

7. Alryss

Alryss Member

Alright.... Zoek is finished. Here are the results.

Attached Files:

8. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Did that take care of the yahoo search???

9. Alryss

Alryss Member

Seems so. I've tried going to the pages it was dening and got to them with no problems. Does everything else look alright?

10. Alryss

Alryss Member

I received an error message, while updating windows. What would be causing the message?

Attached Files:

11. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

If you updated windows with patches from M$ then you will have a restore point set that you can go back to before the updates....

Try that first.

12. Alryss

Alryss Member

Yes. It's updates from them. Live Essentials. Normally, don't install updates. Couldn't tell you why I did this time. Probably this migrane. lol Can I pick a time from earlier today?

13. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

It will probably be the first one at the top of the list saying "Windows Update". Choose that and it will restore to just before that was done....... The date and time should be showing when you did the update.

14. Alryss

Alryss Member

The restore seems to have worked. I don't get the error message, anymore. Before the restore, I tried to use my media player and it wouldn't work. After the restore, it is working fine. I think the Live Essentials had something to do with it. Seems like all is foing well, now.

15. Alryss

Alryss Member

Doing, not foing.

16. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

That's good.. I think you will be fine but before doing any updates to windows, be sure you have a system restore point to fall back on. M$ has been turning out a bunch of bad patches lately.....

I also notice that your router has a really funny setting for the DNS lookup:
    Tcpip\Parameters: [DhcpNameServer] 192.168.0.1 216.170.153.146 216.170.153.146

The first setting (192.168.0.1) don't know why it's there, is the router address, which it will just drop and go to the second setting (216.170.153.146) which is your ISP DNS and if that is really busy of fails, it will go to the third setting, also the same ISP DNS which will probably fail if it ever gets that far..........

I don't like the DNS that most ISP's use and always use a better one. I like Open DNS it's usually the fastest and most secure.

Instead of going to the trouble of changing the router, the easiest way is to just over ride it in your computer. To do that, follow the instructions here:
    https://support.opendns.com/entries/38001040-Windows-

You can use the Open DNS address provided in these instructions or pick another that you might want..
    And, if Heather uses this router you can set her computer up also...

Let me know how everything is going and if you have any other problems.
    2oG :)

17. Alryss

Alryss Member

Everything seems to be working alright, except:
    1: It's seems slower.
    2: I use Bittorrent to download e-books and e-audio-books and some of the old movies, I used to watch as a kid, but can't use it, now. When I go through my normal routine, the last step brings up a page which says I don't have a program that can read it. I've never had this problem before. I'm not understanding what I've done to prevent my comp from reading the page.
    3: There seems to be, an unbelieveable amount of upgrades coming in. It's every day. lol

18. Alryss

Alryss Member

I"m checking out your link for the DNS.

19. Alryss

Alryss Member

Another thing we have been tunning into, we are supposed to be on the same network, but when I look at the network settings, there are 7 networks on this system. We are not on the same one. How might this have happened and what can I do to fix (?) it? We share photo's and video's. Mostly through shared files folders, now.

20. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

(1) you have plenty of drive space so check if you need de-fraging...

[​IMG] Scan with Security Check

Please download Security Check by Screen317 and save it to your desktop.

Right-click on [​IMG] icon and select [​IMG] Run as Administrator to start the tool.Follow onscreen instructions inside the black box. This scan won't take long.

• Soon a notepad document called checkup.txt will open automatically. It's BB Coded so, you may have to post it to read it... lol but it should tell you if your drive is fragmented and needs a defrag ran...

(2) I use utorrent myself.. You might uninstall Bittorrent and re- install it to see if that takes care of it.

(3) LOL You said you don't normally update.... Set your updates to "check for updates but allow me to download and install them." You may have a Large Back Log. lol

This is where I must take a Back Seat. When I work on a computer in my shop or at the location, I can run through a lot of checks that help me find the problem but, when doing it back and forth using my crystal ball it sometimes takes forever if not longer,,,,, so I must pass on this one. Forgive me, I'M OLD!

2oG ;)