1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Svid vs. component video Cables for new receiver

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by breeze773, Feb 23, 2005.

1. breeze773

breeze773 Member

I just bought a new receiver and have a question about component and s video.
    The 3 things in my system I'm concerned with right now are the DVD player, recevier and TV.
    Currently I have S video out of the DVD in to receiver, then s video out from receiver in to TV.
    My DVD player has s video and component out
    Receiver has s video and component in and out but my TV only has s video in.

What I've been wondering is if I would get any significant improvement in picture quality if I changed to using component from DVD to receiver while still keeping s video between the recevier and the TV.

I guess in theory it would be better since I'm isolating more signals on at least one hop, but I was wondering if anyone has noticed a difference in this setup or if it's just not worth the bother.

Thanks

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

This would only work if your receiver was able to upconvert the s-video signal to a component signal or vice versa(downconvert). So in answer to your question no, there wouldn't be an improvement. You might even have a loss in quality due to the conversion. If and when you get a tv with component inputs, then shit can the s video all together and go with the components cables.

If the DVD player is the only device that uses s-video, don't even bother conecting it to the receiver. Go directly to tv from the DVD player.(less signal strength lost and less likely to get interference) Hope this helps, good luck.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005