1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

swap magic 3.6 program loader

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by shaf32, Nov 23, 2005.

1. shaf32

shaf32 Member

hi i have got swap magic 3.6 plus and wamnted to know how to put a game on the hdd in elf format. thanks in advance. ps i am noobie

2. viperware

viperware Member

Hey I just started too and have the same thing except usb HD, haven't tried the onboard HD yet. Here's what I know so far.

To load games off usb HD, simply go to this site; http://www.sksapps.com/index.php?page=hd.html
    and download the USB Advance v1 ELF file.

This is the ELF file you will put on your USBHD:\SWAPMAGIC\ directory.

Some PS2 games have an ELF file but not all of them, thats what makes the SM 3.6 instructions confusing. Don't try to copy the volume of a PS2 DVD into the \SWAPMAGIC\ directory and rename the game's ELF file to swapmagic.elf. I tried it and it doesn't quite work that way.

I think the SM 3.6 USB HD launcher is intended for you to run homebrew ELF files.

So, now you've got the usb-advance ELF file in your usbhd:\SWAPMAGIC\ directory. You must now rename it to swapmagic.elf per the SM 3.6 instructions.

Now your ps2 is ready to read the usb-advance file off your hd when it is plugged into your ps2 and you have your sm 3.6 disc in the tray and closed. No need for slide card or flip top at this point. Just power on the ps2 and it will load the sm 3.6 splash screen, then go black then load the usb-advance splash screen. You are now set to load games onto the drive.

You might want to do this step at the same time as you load the usbadvance ELF file to the HD, but since first time, it's good to check progress.

Now go back to
    http://www.sksapps.com/index.php?page=hd.html
    and download USB Extreme Win32 utility.

This is the program you use to transfer PS2 games from your PC to your HD. It converts the game to a bizarre format that usb advance reads, this is why we do not drag and drop the dvd volume.

The best way to transfer a game to the HD is to first rip it. If you already have the game ripped in DVD image format then go to the next step. Use DVD decrypter to ISO read the disc onto your HD. If you don't know how to do this, then thats a whole other post. Let me know and we'll get into it. Or search this site for "dvd decrypter ps2 iso" or something.

Now you should mount the image using alcohol 120% or daemon tools or other such program to mount images. If you don't know how to do this, thats another post. Or do a search. With the image mounted to a drive letter, select that drive letter with the USB extreme win32 utility, as the CD\DVD-rom drive. Then Select DVD as the media type. After that choose the drive letter for your usb swapmagic ready HD as the hard drive. The Game name window is self explanaory; what do you want to see on your screen when you select this game? Type it here. Then click start, and confirm with the next window. This process takes a long time. I am doing one right now and its been 3 hours already and its not even halfway done. No biggie though. When done, click ok on the transfer status window.

Remove the USBHD from the pc.

Now, with this configuration, you should be able to walk up to ANY unmodified ps2, put in the SM 3.6 disc, plug in the usb-hd, power up and choose from your list of ripped games to play.

As for the HDD that attaches to the network card? I am still researching this. What I think you do is this:
    Go back here again.
    http://www.sksapps.com/index.php?page=hd.html
    Download HDLoader 7C ELF file.

Do the same things on the steps above except now, instead of usb extreme launching from your usbHD, it is the HDloader homebrew program. Just put this ELF file in you \SWAPMAGIC\ directory and rename it to swapmagic.elf, same way we did before with usb advance. (you could also be sly and have both ELFs using SM 3.6 method of calling the files SMBOOT0.ELF and SMBOOT1.ELF i think you hold L1 and push X for smboot0 abd L2 and X for smboot1; you do this at the load prgram screen of SM 3.6)

Anyway, i dont have my network card HD yet, it comes next week. So I am not sure what the HDloader ELF does. I am pretty sure it is able to format the HD proper and allow you to rip DVDs with PS2 right onto the onboard hd. But you see the problem here is, to do this you have 2 HD's hooked up to your ps2 which is totally redundant. I am pretty sure the solution to this is the memory card exploit. I don't know exactly what this is, but I believe it is something that HDloader loads onto your ps2 memory card which in turn instructs the ps2 to load data from the onboard HD when turned on. Again, I don't know for sure on this yet because I will not have done it until next week. I will try to update this then. For now, you should be able to play games off your USB HD no problem.

/end scatter-brained instructional rant

-viperware-

3. jsoprano

jsoprano Member

This is not working for me. SM loads its normal screen as usuall.
    No bootup from the usb drive. Any pointers ?

4. waleedwc

waleedwc Regular member

Some usb flash drives and hard drives are not compatible, thats why it probably dont load.