1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Swapped my (broke)LITEON Drive for LG Drive - not as quick but should be?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by robigouk, Feb 11, 2007.

1. robigouk

robigouk Member

Hi All

OK - simple question. I'm using nero 7 and until last week was using my LITEON burner which came with my ACER pc. Then last week, it started making a funny spindly noise when I put a disk in and the PC didn't recognise it. So this weekend replaced it with a LG 18x DVD DL/+/- all singing dancing drive. The installation was simple, windows xp installed it no problems and it's burning fine.

HOWEVER - I'm using blank x8 DVD-R disks and Nero is only giving me one speed to write at - 4x. When I had my LITEON drive (which was a 16x compared to this new one being an 18x) I could choose from 8x, 4x, 2x speeds to write. Now I'm only getting 4x.

Any idea why - there's no other problems with the drive.

2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

What model is your drive? It may just need a firmware update...

Something to consider...

The speeds you can burn your disks at is controlled by the drives firmware. The firmware is software that controls the hardware of the drive. Firmwares have built in write stretegies and if it cannot find one for that particular disk it will revert back to the standard one.

This is usually sorted with a firmware update. Otherwise, you can try another brand of disk. What make of media are you using at present?

3. robigouk

robigouk Member

Hi and thanks for the reply.

The drive is a LG GSA-H22N 18X INTERNAL DVD REWRITER.

I've been using Tesco's own media 8x dvd-r disks. Had no problem burning to them with the LITEON drive but with the new drive don't even get a choice. (sometimes if I'm burning VSO/VOB files for movies/dvd playback I burn at 2x but can't even choose that!)

Should I be checking something in Nero 7?

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

There are no updates out for your drive at present, so try another brand of disk like Verbatim. They are a v good make.