1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

swapping xbox hdds

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by ficklegum, Oct 20, 2004.

1. ficklegum

ficklegum Member

I have a problem, I know nothing about modding xboxes or anything like that, but i want to replace my hard drive. I was wondering if it was possible because i have a live account as well as saved games and is it possible for me to buy a new hard drive, and tranfer everything onto it and use that in my xbox without modding it or anything. I tried reading one tutorial and was completely lost, so hopefully someone on these forums could help me out a little bit I'd really appreciate it.

2. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

It's not possible if your XBOX is not modded in some way. You need a way to copy your XBOX's system settings & saved games data. The only way to do that is through FTP and you will have to have a modded XBOX to set up FTP.

Why do you want to replace your HDD?

3. cotterman

cotterman Member

I would like to upgrade my XBOX hard drive because I have ran out of space on my measily 8 gb hdd. I have an X-BIT mod chip and Evox. I was wondering how to transfer all my files to the new hard drive, and also what kind of drive to buy that will be compatible with my XBOX. I have read some stuff on the net but I was lost. Is there anyone who could help me or lead me in the right direction on how to upgrade my drive please? Also i have heard it is a risky thing to do if you don't know much about FTP and other things like that. Is there anyone or any company online i could send my xbox or just the hdd to so they could do this operation for me? Thanks.

4. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

Nah man you don't need to have anyone to do it for you, it's pretty simple to upgrade your HDD. First off, do you have FTP access to your XBOX yet? You will need to have that first before you can upgrade your HDD. Let me know then we'll go from there.

5. cotterman

cotterman Member

i dont know if i have ftp access. like i said i really dont know anything yet... i need a complete walkthrough on what i need to do and what to get to do this hdd upgrade

6. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

If you have the Evox Dash, there's should be a system settings. Go there and look to see if you got IP address for you XBOX.

7. jimmy42

jimmy42 Regular member

Cotter before you upgrade your drive you should first get used to how to actually use the EVOX DASH :)

Then use the install disc you used to install evox ( most probably SLAYERS AUTO INSTALLER DISC 2.6 )

once youve done this find the ip of your xbox and FTP in with username: xbox & password: xbox

once youve logged in, simply DRAG all the information from the E:(game saves, music, etc) Drive on your original 8GB to a directory on your PC (if you have 8gb available that is) then replace the original hard drive with your new larger drive.

When you boot up for the first time with the new drive simply insert your Slayers Auto installer so the xbox boots from CD. Then choose setup new large hard drive, it will install all the files you require

Once you have FTP'd in you can simply transfer the E: drive back to your newly installed big drive, and you will have all your saved games, scores, maps, characters etc.. as well as any music you put on the system.

8. cotterman

cotterman Member

how/where do i get the evox dash and slayers autoinstaller disc 2.6?

9. dontbugme

dontbugme Member

hey you wonted to know where to get the evox and slayer right now on ebay just search evox in both title and body and there it is its like 8 bucks including shipping for a dvd-r

10. Achilles3

Achilles3 Guest

Don't pay for that stuff, it's free in the first place.

11. micahman

micahman Member

I have a question about this. I have a soft-modded xbox that I put evox on through ltools and the nightfire mod. For me to swap hard drives, would it work if I just copied everything over, and then for my first start up with the new HD in, put in nightfire to boot from disk and then just install the ltools patch again? Because once i load the memorycard info after the game is started, avalanch comes up and I can ftp the xbox without installing anything. So would it work if I just got to that point and then copied everything over?

12. melo70

melo70 Member

can someone answer this because i would also like to know

13. 121flame

121flame Member

you might want to put an OS in there b4 you do anything else

14. smac19

smac19 Guest

i want to upgrade my xbox HD and bought WD200g HD,and i want to format it by useing softmod is there anything special i need to do to it? partition/formating?