1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

switch to DMA

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by juice77, Jan 23, 2005.

1. juice77

juice77 Member

i have been reading threads that say the system should be changed to dma from ipo. how do i do this???i have windows millenium

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Not sure about millenium. The IDE channels should be in DMA. By the way, I think you meant PIO instead of ipo. Just check it according to your system. You can usually find the particulars in Help and Support.

My best advice would be to update to XP.

3. beltline

beltline Regular member

To enable DMA mode right click on "MY COMPUTER" on your desktop and click on "Properties" at the bottom of the pop up window. Click on the "Hardware" tab. Then click on the "Device Manager" tab.

1. Open Device Manager.

2. Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.

3. Right-click the icon for the channel to which the device is connected, select Properties, and then click the Advanced Settings tab.

4. In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if Available if the current setting is "PIO Only."
    If the drop-down box already shows "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must toggle the settings. That is:

• Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click OK.

• Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if Available

If this doesn't work, you'll need to uninstall the device, reboot, then windows should automatically detect the device on reboot and reinstall it. At this point go back and see if it is now in DMA mode.