1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

switching motherboard on a dell

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by jprice, May 16, 2008.

1. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

tbh, yes it would.

whats you budget m8?

as for PSU go for the VX450W from Corsair.

Enermax Pro 82+ 385W

or Enermax Pro 82+ 425W

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  2. jprice

jprice Member

well my budget I guess I would like to keep it under $300 or $400, and buying refurbished stuff is no biggie for me. I just talked to dell and they said this : The following processors are compatible with your computer motherboard:
    Intel® Pentium® 4
    Intel Pentium D
    Intel Core™ 2 Duo
    Intel Celeron® D

Not too much to work with but, I just want something that will support my graphics card nicely. So do you have any ideas?

3. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

4. jprice

jprice Member

ok thats definitelly doable, One last question. The CPU is easy to install but I have never installed a PSU, is there a guide somewhere or i guess the PSU may come with some instructions.

5. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

i cant remember if the PSU came with instructions.

basically, you just take of the heatsink/fan of the old CPU, and then take off the Lever, and the metal door over the CPU. then add in the new one and reverse the other of the steps, putting the new HS/Fan (from the new CPU box) ontop.

for PSU, pull out all the old cables, unsrcew it.

screw in the new one, and put in the cables.

not hard at all :D

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Be advised that for some cases you have to remove the CD drives first. :)

7. jprice

jprice Member

thank you very much :) I feel kinda dumb now though, i just found a 6pin cable on my PSU, it was hiding. So i guess all i need is a new cpu...

8. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

wehey. yep, CPU is all now ;)

9. jprice

jprice Member

ok this is grat thank you, does anyone happen to know if there is a good place to get refurbished CPU's or cheap ones hehe ?

10. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

sorry m8, seeing as im from the UK, im not to sure about the US shops bar newegg

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A refurbished processor? Even if I did, I wouldn't recommend it.

12. jprice

jprice Member

Ok sorry for asking so many questions but I am getting an amazing deal on the Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor QX6850 ...
    so I know this is a long shot but I just want to ask is there a mobo that is compatable with this and all my other stuff? I am willing to replace the case, mobo, cpu obviously, ram if needed, and maybe whatever else, money isnt an issue. I can get good deals from best buy so if there is a case on their site that would be great. Sorry for asking for so much and thank you for the help shaffaaf! Im gong to put a good word in for you ;)

13. varnull

varnull Guest

That's a much better plan than how this all started..
    Just get the best graphics card you can to go with it all.. Look for one which can be clocked if needed.. Nvidia seem decent, or if you have bought the one you mentioned already that should work.
    What else is there to buy after a case, mobo, cpu, psu and graphics anyway.. A couple of drives maybe.. depends of yours are sata or not I suppose is about the only thing to be careful of.

I never source things from the US either.. not even newegg. Happy hunting ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2008
  14. jprice

jprice Member

Great thank you :) I actually already have a graphics card : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127329

But my probem is I need to know exactly what mobo to bu that will be compatable with my ram cpu Ect... I also am not good with finding a case that would fit the mobo. So you see my delema?

Also, what do you mean by "source" from the US, are you saying you buy from people only outside the U.S. ?? thank you :))) You can email me if you want to, pricejr@gmail.com

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Out of curiosity, how much is that good deal? The QX6850s may be worth a fortune, but the not too different Q6700 is a heall of a lot cheaper.

As for the motherboard, an Asus P5K-E or Gigabyte EP35-DS3R should work fine with it.

16. jprice

jprice Member

im geting it for 240$ . Ok great, will those mobo's be compatable with all my hardware, like ram Ect...? As for a case, I know it has a PSU in it already so I dont have to worry about that, but Which one? I get a discount at best buy here is the link to all the opptions:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...cabcat0507005##0##1c~~f398||*&sp=+brand+skuid

I'm not looking for a fancy expensive one but if thats my only choice I will get it. The cases are on the far left column. Thank you very much :)

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

NO.
    NEVER, EVER buy a case that already comes with a power supply, they are universally crap. Cases are mostly down to personal taste, but with a CPU like that you'll want good cooling, so I recommend something like the NZXT Tempest. You won't find it at best buy, but all told I don't like any of the products on that page, you're better off ordering online at newegg.

Good deal on the CPU by the way.

18. jprice

jprice Member

ok that is fine :) So now i need a new power supply, I assume The one I have now is not good enough heh, any suggestions there? Shaffaaf recomended this one :
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817194027
    Its kinda pricy, is there possibly a cheaper one?
    And Is this mobo compatable with my ram and other hardware? I have 2 different kinds. Thanks a ton!

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

20. jprice

jprice Member

Great thank you :) now all i need to do is find out if that mobo is compatable with my hardware, ram might be a problem. I listed my system specs earlier in this post.