1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sync for wmp10,wmp11,winamp5.56, will not occur for mp3/ipod nano

Discussion in 'Audio' started by JEFFINPA, Nov 16, 2009.

1. JEFFINPA

JEFFINPA Guest

I hope someone can help with this, I cannot sync to my mp3 player thru wmp10 or 11 (xp sp3) anymore. Have been able to sync in the past, and player is not full-(machspeed onyx 4gb).Also I cannot sync to an ipod nano 8gb, downloaded winamp can't really recognize the ipod nor the onyx players, sees the devices as drives, but says they are full (ipod is fresh out of the box). can anyone help PLEASE! Thanks, Jeff

2. Mez

Mez Active member

Did you update your itunes on your ipod? They changed the database structure to punish the unfaithful. You can't go backwards either. Allowing that would not be much of a punishment would it?

3. JEFFINPA

JEFFINPA Guest

The only thing I have done is plug the ipod into the computer and it will not sync(USB 2.0 ports,fyi)at all

4. JEFFINPA

JEFFINPA Guest

Mez, one thing, is the an MTP file that could be missing?

5. Mez

Mez Active member

I do not know what the MTP is. I do know the music is in a hidden folder ipod_control.

Are you sure you didn't plug in into some other computer. That will lock down the ipod as you discribe. Apple is huge on locking down ipods for any little thing. Unfortunatly, there is no way to unlock them.

6. JEFFINPA

JEFFINPA Guest

Did not plug the ipod into any other computer. both devices that i have connected to my computer(mp3 player to e: only and the ipod to f: only) are doing the same exact thing, no sync but can be seen as a mass storage drive for each.

7. Mez

Mez Active member

Apple has put a kill switch in the versions of itunes for the ipod this year. No one yet has figured out how to unlock them. Resetting does not work when it is in punishment mode. I hate Apple. They do this kind of stuff all the time. It is like putting razor blades in Holloween candy. No one much cares until they are the ones bitting into the apple with a razor blade in it.

I have sent persons to check with Media Monkey. They make an audio manager and have a forum. Post a complaint in the I can't sync my ipod forum. They may know how the lock is made. It is a switch in some file.

I forgot you are using Winamp check with your forum. You have a much better chance that it might be something else. I also have an ipod but I use Media Monkey to sync. My ipod is so old I am waiting for it to die so I can get a Sansa. My controls are dying. Maybe your ipod is dying.

You can also check the ipod forum. I never heard of this till this year and now it happens too often.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  8. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

Why not just sync with iTunes?..

9. JEFFINPA

JEFFINPA Guest

Mez, Thanks, and i'll give those forums a shot and let you know what comes of it.
    kOOka, i'll see if I can get any type of software for iTunes, never worked with apple or mac stuff before. Thanks guys

10. Mez

Mez Active member

I would steer far clear of Apple software. They are not your friend. Both itunes and WMP invite robot scanners to check out your computer. What the robots actually do is unknown but I doubt that it is not good. itunes has a huge bevy of punishment routines built into it. 95% of the itune 'improvements' have been security or punishment routines. Now the slightest infraction renders the ipod like yours permently locked down. I saw a case where the user claimed the old computer died and the ipod was killed when the user started using the new computer. I wouldn't opt to put anything like that on my computer.

How is itunes going to work? When the computer does not recognise the device as an ipod but as a mass storage device. I guess if all else fails it would be worth a try. That is exactly what happens when Apple punishes you. This has been happening all year to itunes users and no one has been able to fix the ipod. This is the first case I know of where itunes was not involved.

11. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

Yes! trying iTunes is worth a try..Some just hate Apple(iTunes), period..
    FWIW, it's not my fave app, but it works(syncing)..I've not yet been punished, and sent to my room..
    Millions of users can't all be wrong..

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  12. Mez

Mez Active member

k00ka, you might be smarter than most. I know a few persons that use itunes that have not been punished either.

Why can't millions of users be wrong? Just look at our elected officials! If they want to use garbage it is no skin off my nose.

Winamp and Media Monkey are infinintly superior to itunes in features and useability unless you only want to use the 'easy button'. I just hate to be treated like cattle to be eaten when they like instead of a valued customer. I had to scrap itunes very early because it couldn't handle large libraries. Media Monkey (MM) loads about 1,000 times faster than itunes even though quick times gets loaded at start up. What a bloated piece of garbage! The database it uses is known not to be relyable even at a large ipod level. Filepro was always much more screwed up than access another POS. I wouldn't trust either at even 30,000 tunes. MM used access but was not reliable for the larger libraries. Now it uses a SQL engine.

13. JEFFINPA

JEFFINPA Guest

Well, went to check out theapple forums and found some interesting things about ipods, they cost too much, not user friendly, and i now have half a head of hair and most of my marbles are on the floor. Though, i did put the ipod into disk mode and now windows gives me a "nano icon" in my computer but does not name it as an ipod in there. I did end up under device manager seeing a mobile phone for apple usb but mass storage usb is just that, and that's where the ipod is connected to. I'm waiting for a reply to the disk mode thing, wondering why it doesn't go into a different mode when connected back up to the usb port? I've got time if that what it takes, let you know or maybe you guys know what's going on, thanks.

14. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

Hey Mez,
    As stated above, "it's not my fave app"..I'm a foobar2k and MM guy. ;)
    Just trying to help/add my 2cents worth, is all...
    To each their own, right?...Better yet, whatever works for you/us..

15. Mez

Mez Active member

Although I have the big 3 on my computer, I use MM 95% of the time. I use Winamp to play my apple encoded music but I don't use foobar much at all. I prefer the menu driven apps over the apps that require you to have done certain things before you can even choose to do a thing.

I have $50 speakers connected to my computer so no serious listening can happen there. In my opinion I could spend 10 times that and not be much better off than I am now. I believe no amount of money is going to elevate a computer to my monster HiFi.

What is the big draw for foobar? It uses cue files but I don't. I can see that as a valuable feature but most of my serious listening happens on my ipod. It is not as fine as my sterio but I have great ear buds and it does not shake the house. Even at low volume levels certain notes will shake the house so I rarely play my sterio if someone else is in the house.

I like to use the best tool for the job. I use specific tools for transcoding, normalization and most tag editing. In your opinion is foorbar best for?

16. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

I also use specific tools for certain tasks..f2k is my default player..It's not only a great player(IMO), but it can transcode to various other formats including, lossy AAC/m4a(Nero AAC 1.3.3.0), which are compatible in the ipod...You can even transcode to AlAC with itunes encoder via ItunesEncode.exe, if you prefer encoding with iTunes/QuickTime...Tag support is very good and I do use the Bitcompare tool and ABX utility, which come in handy...The plug-in support is a a big plus..
    We all have our preferences!..The reason why I use iTunes, is mainly for easily syncing my iPod..
    I always keep a separate Music folder,aside from the iTunes music folder..And of course a lossless archive..

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  17. Mez

Mez Active member

No I would never use an Apple encoder to encode only to play. Although it is good for lower bit rates it is fact that it is inferior in the HiFi range. Fact since Apple has admitted to the long list of well documented artifacts presented by a team from Hydrogen Audio. I do have an ipod bought 4 yrs ago. When it dies I will get a Sansa. I keep the Apple formats as is because I do not have good back ups. Attempts to trans code to mp3s were not satisfactory. I only use Helix and Lame encoders both for VBR mp3s. They are the cleanist lossy formats.

The tools are another matter. That is a reason to use foobar.

18. JEFFINPA

JEFFINPA Guest

Well, got the itunes, and no sync at all, under my computer it does show it is there as removable media and has an ipod icon next to it,
    but no sync. What's next?

19. Mez

Mez Active member

That is what I suspected. Many person with itunes have this problem and no one has reported back that their ipod was working properly in 6+ months.

I would remove itunes since I suspect that actually caused most of these problems in the first place. If you finally get it running you don't want it killed again. I suspect would kill switch was activated randomly. I have seen yes/no switches get switched for no reason. The last time that happened a switch got turned the wrong was in a place I had never been in that app.

My suggestions are the same. See if you can find help on MM or Winamp forums. I know many users know a good deal about the internals of the ipod. You will get no help from Apple. I doubt even if it was under warentee. Apple would assume you are being punished for a transgression and they never help the punished. They will tell you to buy a new one.

I have an ipod now but I would never by another just for this reason. Apple sets so many traps to punish the guilty they sometimes punish the innocent. You are just as screwed if you are unlucky. Not that I would be innocent but I know the pit falls and would aviod them. I will not spend my hard earned money to be punished even if it is only a 1 in 20 chance. I prefer 0 chance. Plus Sansa makes a better mp3 player as long as you stick to flash memory. They are up to 32g + 32 SD card. If ipods were best I probably would buy another and take my chances. I really don't hate Apple that much an may buy an iPhone, not for the music but for other features.

20. Laura8825

Laura8825 Guest

are you sure your audio files is no problem?