1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sync for wmp10,wmp11,winamp5.56, will not occur for mp3/ipod nano

Discussion in 'Audio' started by JEFFINPA, Nov 16, 2009.

1. JEFFINPA

JEFFINPA Guest

audio files aren't a problem, the device is recognized but will not sync. *.mp3 format for my audio files.

2. Mez

Mez Active member

Have you posted your problem on the MM forum? That is where you have the best chance to fix the problem. I think there is a control file on the ipods that stopps the syncing if a 'switch is flipped'.

I actually looked for you on that forum. I didn't see a post that could have been you. I did run into another possibilty in their FAQs. There may be a driver problem.

Because MM can use extrenal scripts, more programmers use MM than any other audio app. Some scripts alter the sync process. The p[rogrammers that write these scripts know way more than I about ipod internal files.

3. JEFFINPA

JEFFINPA Guest

Mez, You're not going to believe it but I have found the problem, and it's not software but what I did with the harddrive,.... I compressed the harddrive and all it's files, and the damn thing sync'd right up! no additional software or anything. I went into My computer, then properties, and saw where it said compress "c:", so I checked that box, Then it asked to compress all files and sub-folders, and I checked it, after an hour or so, I first plugged my MP3 player into the usb port(wasn't working either) and the computer recognized it right away! (SHOCK!) so I loaded all my music onto it and it's fine. Then I re-downloaded iTunes (basic) and then plugged in the ipod nano and updated it to 1.0.04, all's fine, then loaded the music I needed to, it worked perfectly, but, there is one thing, iTunes doesn't support MP3 format (iTunes Pro does), so you have to rip music in MP3 format to WMP and then have iTunes import the file or folder you need to load, and it works fine. Alot of B.S. to go thru to get a device to work. If you don't believe me, try it yourself.

4. JEFFINPA

JEFFINPA Guest

By the way, get rid of Winamp, it's crap!

5. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

I wouldn't call WinAmp "crap"..But, you do have your opinion(s)!..
    And iTunes does indeed support MP3 format..Just load/import them in iTunes..If you mean iTunes doesn't rip CDs to MP3, well it does as well..Import Settings-->Import Using-> from dropdown menu, choose a default 160kbps or custom bitrate MP3.
    Anything is better than using WMP including Winamp..That's my opinion!.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  6. Mez

Mez Active member

I would not call winamp crap either. It and Media Monkey are always rated as the top 2 audio apps. Depending on the study, one will will score better than the other. While they are neck and neck they leave all the rest in the dust except for foobar which maintains the serious audiophyle niche.

Your were VERY lucky! You also get an A for persistance. Your are the first person who solved that problem that I know of. You may have been out of disk space. Compressing the disks will not save your for long. You need to delete files or get more disk space.

Part of your luck is that you were not punished. If Apple kills your ipod it may be permenant. At least no one has reported solving this problem in 9 months. There have been dozens of reports which could mean 10 times that in real problems. At one point that was the most common reported problem in the ipod forum. I doubt that so many complaints were due to a filled disk. As I stated before you were the only person with that problem than was not using itunes when it got locked up. So I would think twice about changing to itunes. The fault was yours running out of disk space not winamp's.

Unless the change is rescent, itunes has always supported mp3s but it prefers to alter them to an apple format for no good reason at all. Itune will even rip to mp3 if you set it up that way. I stopped using itunes before I changed the encoder. Then all your Apple formats will not play. Maybe that is why itunes forces you to convert to apple. They want to have as many nooses and hooks into you as they can. That is why I hate them. They do not treat you as a valued customer. They are alway forcing you down one way paths hoping to be able to screw you later. I have no desire to play mind games with Apple.

7. JEFFINPA

JEFFINPA Guest

Mez, Thanks for the compliment, I do appreciate that! I think that by compressing the HDD, May have fixed a corrupted file somewhere, but where is the question? I have no clue and don't want to repeat that scenario (lol)! As far as my disk space, I had puchased a larger HDD (320GB) but my old disk with xp CRASHED, start from ground zero and my xp software is from when it first came out, what a problem to get it to format the HDD, and it would only allow it to be formatted as NTFS, not even FAT32. And xp home ed. only recognizes so much disk space, I had to format it to to 137GB, would not let it happen(????), so I dropped to 70GB, same thing, Finally 40GB and it took, why? I don't know. Mez, I'm laughing as I tell you this because if I didn't laugh, I'd have no hair or marbles left! And let's just say, finally things are working out right for once. (Did I tell you that I am a Telecommunications Field Service Technician?, 30 yrs of troubleshooting, I've worked on Telephone/PBX, BroadBand Site Installation and Testing, Almost anything to do with the Telecommunications Industry). I just got to back up my harddrive and then re-format it. Any suggestions on what's good to back-up to externally? I'd appreciate it, Thanks, Jeff

8. Mez

Mez Active member

First, 1 out of over 100 is pretty good.

NTFS is what you want. It is a bit wastful for small files but most files these days are very large. The drive will not be readable by macs and older OSs but these worries are all things of the past. It is a far better file allocation system than FAT32.

You really need to get a formatting tool from the company that made your HD. The original fdisk that came with XP used long variables and not double longs ( the largest 32 bit number vars ). That limits the disk size that can be set up. You can also get a recompled fdisk from M$ but that is inferior to Maxblast or some of the other disk utilities. My disks are formatted to almost 1 tb. I think you can get at least 2 tbs with a new disk utility.

LOLs I am an out of work programmer. You needed try google when you have problems like that. Luckily you kept the XP key. I keep my set in several places to make sure I never lose them.

The new OSs make me ill. They take for granted you are a moron and try to automatically do things for you. After waiting your time it never guesses correctly. I have to waste more time undoing what it did. My son's computer crashed because it automatically tried to import a DVD full of music that he was only trying to play one tune. It was not smart enough to check to see if there was enough disk space. What a piece of sh1t!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  9. JEFFINPA

JEFFINPA Guest

Mez, I agree with you 100%. I do have the utility disk that came with the new HD, but it would not let me undo the 40GB format that xp MADE me do (LOL). I just got to create my boot disk and then do a complete back-up to CD before I re-format the HD and part the disk for 2 drives. If you know of a good program that will let me back-up this crazy thing, I would apprciate it. Thanks!

10. Mez

Mez Active member

I am sure it will let you remove a partition. You may get warnings. If not fdisk will let you remove a partition. What do you do with a 40 g partition?

11. JEFFINPA

JEFFINPA Guest

Mez, (lmao) PRAY!
    I've looked at some external HD's and the price is right, but they have to back up the entire c: for me, not just files and sub files, know what I mean. The disk compression that I ran gave me almost 8GB back so I'm just over 20GB free on the HD, but back up to an external drive (looking at Western and Seagate) is what I need to do to re-format the harddrive.

12. Mez

Mez Active member

My advice is not to buy an external but to buy a quality box and put a nice drive in it. Terabyte drives are under 100 USDs. You really get what you pay for. So when you can buy an 1 t external for 60 bucks and good drives go for 90 you know they have cut corners. They always cut corners on the power supply. The drives die because they got bad power and got burned out. That is OK if you don't mind losing your data. My friend buys a few every year and they rairly last a year. They all died under warentee. He was OK with that until one died that had valuable data on it that hadn't been backed up. 2 t of data, his entire music collection. The guy went nuts! He had already bought a new drive to back it up but he wasn't fast enough. I really like the Vantec boxes. They come with both eSATA and a USB interface. They are real nice boxes and I love eSATA. They are about 100 times faster than USB2 for anything more than a g or two. He is talking about trying on a box.

13. JEFFINPA

JEFFINPA Guest

I should have actually told you mez that I was really looking for a backup drive (like a zip drive or an external drive for backing up my HD) for my computer (and my other one when I finish rebuilding it) and just for back up only. I wouldn't be using it on a regular basis as an active drive. Once I get my entire (current) harddrive backed up for a restore, then I'm going to re-format the 320GB drive (that has my 40GB of space for windows on it),part it for 2 drives and then restore windows to C: and have just files store to D:, that's all (LOL).

14. Mez

Mez Active member

15. JEFFINPA

JEFFINPA Guest

Mez, I hear that and did go buy another harddrive $60.00 for a 320GB Western Digital. Did my formatting of the drive and made a copy of my original drive, then formatted the original drive and copied the files back to it,(parted out both HD's for 108GB, and the remainder went to the 2nd volume,222GB roughly) and they both work fine. And if you were wondering, they do have their boot partition's.