1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

synch prob

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by michiaki, Aug 18, 2006.

1. michiaki

michiaki Member

even using timeadjuster or the sub editor in bsplayer i can't get many sub files to synch; once i have them in one place they are out in another.
    any ideas?
    or is this a symptom of the whole ntsc/pal problem (did that arguement ever get figured out?)
    many thanks

2. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

A lot of the sync problems are going to be due to the source, where you're getting your sub files from and your video. The runtime of the video you're using has to match the runtime of the video that your subs were ripped from. Otherwise, you have to sync the subs.

I've used Subtitle Workshop to resync subs and generally have had good results. Give it a try if you haven't yet. It does a good job most of the time, but occassionally you still have problems.

"is this a symptom of the whole ntsc/pal problem (did that arguement ever get figured out?) "

The NTSC/PAL mismatch is a common way subs get out of sync. Because of the way film gets transferred to video, PAL DVD's end up with a diffrent runtime (faster) than the NTSC DVD. If your subs were ripped from the PAL version and you just tried to author them to the NTSC version they won't match up at first. You'd have to resync them.

Try using Subtitle Workshop's framerate covnersion for your subs. And try different combinations of framerates to see if you can get them to sync up. If all else fails you can sync them up manually. Just work with a 10-12 minute section of the movie and try to sync that up, then move to the next 10-12 minute section etc.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  3. michiaki

michiaki Member

thank you for the advice
    i think it must be a problem of frame rates. will try subtitle workshop, though bsplayer does have a sub rate converter.
    is there a way of finding out the framerate of a subtitle file, if you have only the file?
    also- a certain film i am having problems with says its frame rate is 23fps- is this possible? the lowest i have come across is 23.9xxx

4. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

I don't think it's possible, just from the sub file, to know what framerate it is. They're just text files.

If bsplayer does have a good framerate converter then you may be OK with that. I've never used it.

Depending upon where your movie came from (maybe an .avi file encoded by someone else) it could be 23fps. 23fps isn't a common framerate for video though. if you were to rip from a commercial DVD you'd expect 29.97fps or 25fps.

Assuming your video really is 23fps. Subtitle Workshop should let you enter a custom value for the converted framerate. Try loading your subtitle file in Subtitle Workshop and entering 23 for the FPS.

Of course, since you don't know the original framerate for the subtitle file you might have to experiment a bit with the "Input FPS". First try 29.976 for the "Input FPS" and 23 for "FPS", then if necessary try again but use 25 for "Input FPS"

5. michiaki

michiaki Member

using subtitle workshop now, and i figured out where the problems are:
    1) different frame-
    2) the film i have has 20 secs cut! (no wonder it was all pear shaped!)
    thanks for your help!!

6. matt_0978

matt_0978 Member

i've downloaded a subtitle for my movie from various sources, from each source it is in .srt format (i believe that is SubRip). The narrator first starts speaking after 1min 37 seconds of play but the corresponding subtitle doesn't appear until 2min 22seconds of play and so is 45seconds out of synch, is there a way I can automatically correct this, or do i have to manually take 45 seconds off each line? what i ultimately want to do is convert my movie to dvd using avi2dvd but it will be a bit messed when the subtitles are so far out. another way perhaps would be for me to add a 45 second blank clip to the beginning of the movie, but how do i go about doing that?

7. michiaki

michiaki Member

using timeadjuster, the subtitle editor in bsplayer or subtitle workshop you can easily change the timings of all the lines to add 45secs. its quick and easy to do.

8. matt_0978

matt_0978 Member

hi michiaki, thanks for a quick reply. I just downloaded latest version of TimeShifter from http://blueyonder.tucows.com/files1/ta.zip and had a play with it. It is truly a clever soft', it allows me to tell it EXACTLY when the subtitle should be appearing and worked real well. I'm just previewing the movie now to check the results. Thanks!!