1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Synchronizing subtitles from 23,976 Input FPS to 25

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by stibi, Jan 4, 2010.

1. stibi

stibi Regular member

I have an Avi movie for which I have downloaded subtitles. When I open Subtitle Workshop and load the said subtitles I see in the "Input FPS" and the FPS the number 25. However, after I click on the "Movie" menu (of Subtiitle Workshop) and select "Open" the number in the Input FPS and FPS changes to 23,976. I suppose that's the reason why the said subtitles are absolutely unsynchronized.

Is there any way to adjust the said subtitle file to 23,976 FPS or to convert the avi file so that it wouldn't change the Input FPS and FPS from 25 to 23,976.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    stibi

2. attar

attar Senior member

Open the movie (input fps=23.976 and fps=23.976), drag the .srt file onto the lower window.

Assuming the .srt file was set timed for 25FPS (often the download site will list this information), change Input FPS: (the upper box) to 25.

The times in the lower box will change.
    Play the movie and see if the subs match.
    If they do, save them as a new SubRip file.

3. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi attar,

Thanks for, as usually, prompt response and for helping me to solve the problem.

Indeed, after draging the srt file into the lower box and changing Input FPS to 25, the times in the lower box have changed. After that when I played the movie, the subs almost matched, so that after a smal ammendment in the seting of the delay of the first subtitle (and choosing the option "For all the subtitles")now all the subs matche.

Thanks again
    stibi

4. attar

attar Senior member

Okey-dokey.
    Thank you for the follow up.

5. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi attar,
    I have again a problem with synchronizing subtiles of a an AVI movie with Input FPS 25, whereas the movie's FPS is 23976.
    As in the last time, after opening(in SubtitleWorkshop)the movie, the Input FPS has changed from 25 to 23976, then I draw the srt to the lower window and changed the Input FPS: (the upper box)to 25. Indeed the times in the lower box changed, however much less then needed for synchronizing the times of the AVI. So I tried to adjust it, however I failed.
    I should add, that I got the said movie in NTSC DVD, however I converted it to AVI, since I wanted to "embed" into it subtitles through VirtualDub.
    Hence my questions are: 1. How can one convert an NTSC DVD into PAl? and 2. Assuming there is such way, wouldn't that solve my problem (meaning: if I convert the NTSC DVD into PAL wouldn't the FPS of the resulting PAL DVD be 25?
    Thanks in advance
    stibi

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Are you trying to convert the NTSC DVD to Pal DVD or to an AVI @25fps?

7. attar

attar Senior member

8. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi cyprusrom,

Thanks for trying to help me.
    You are asking whether I am trying to convert the NTSC DVD to Pal DVD or to an AVI @25fps.
    Well - since my ultimate goal is to get an AVI @25fps file and then to "embed" into it subtitles through VirtualDub, I would, of course, prefer to convert the NTSC DVD right away to an AVI @25fps. It's just that such a possibility didn't occur to me, therefore I thought I must first convert the NTSC DVD to Pal DVD and then to convert that Pal DVD to AVI.

stibi

Hi attar,

Thanks for trying to help me, however, I am afraid I didn't express myself properly:
    The only DVD I have is NTSC. After it's conversion to AVI I saw that the said AVI's Input FPS is 23976, whereas my subtitles' FPS is 25. Hence, I thought I could solve the problem by,first, converting that NTSC DVD to DVD PAL and then converting the DVD PAL to an 25fps AVI. Naturally, if there is a way for converting the NTSC DVD right away to an 25fps AVI, I would prefer that.

stibi

9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I don't use VirtualDub, and I cannot comment about the possibility of setting the FPS in VirtualDub when converting a DVD to AVI, but is very possible and easy to convert to an AVI@25FPS from a NTSC DVD.

10. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi Cyprus,
    Thanks for your propmpt respone.
    In my experience, whenever I can synchronize the subtitles to an AVI using Subtitles Workshop, there is no problem with "embeding" such subtitles into the AVI with VirtualDub.

Hence,if I could convert my NTSC DVD into AVI@25FPS, I would synchronize (using Subtitle Workshop) that AVI with the 25FPS subtitles.
    Now, since you say that converting an NTSC DVD into AVI@25FPS is very possible and easy, I shall be very grateful if guide me how to do it.

Thanks in advance.
    stibi

11. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I think you can change the frame rate in VirtualDub as well.
    From what you're saying, you have a subtitle file @25 FPS, but might not be completely synchronized even if you'd have the AVI @25 FPS. Which means, no matter what you do, you'd have to encode/convert twice, once to get the video to 25 FPS, and second time to hardcode the subs after you synchronize them. If the subs would be totally synced with the 25 FPS video, then it could be done in one conversion step I guess.

You can try VirtualDub, probably has more options, but a very easy program to use is Any_Video_Converter.

http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

You can use this same program to hardcode the subs as well.
    [​IMG]

12. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi cyprusrom,

Many thanks for your help.

I have downloaded the Any_Video Converter, and successfully converted the NTSC DVD into AVI 25fps.

Unfortunatly, the 25 FPS subtitle file I downloaded was not completely synchronized - some lines yes and some no - so it seems to be quite a job to do that, because when amending any line (in Subtitle Workshop) I can't select the Edit> Timing> Set delay> For all the subtitles option (I must select "For selected subtitles").

In this connection I would be gratefull if you explain what do you mean by saing "to hardcode the subs after you synchronize them" and what "more options" in VirtualDub do you have in mind.

Thanks in advance
    stibi

13. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

The VirtualDub subtitle plug-in probably allows you to adjust colour/size position and such...that's what I had in mind.

After you have the subs synced, you want to hardcode them, have them burnt in, right? I was just saying that Any Video Converter could do that as well.

If the subs were not ripped for a specific video file, it's a mess to try to sync them. You might have the video @25 FPS, and the subs at same frame rate, but if they were ripped for two different movies of two different lengths( for example if someone cut some of the intro of the movie when encoded the video, but whoever ripped the subs left it intact), then it's gonna be difficult.

I just finished working on a sub file that was out of sync. It was okay for 5-6 lines, then it would go out of sync. It took me a while, I just selected and moved chunks of it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  14. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hy cyprusrom and thanks a lot again
    stibi

15. stibi

stibi Regular member

16. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi attar,

Now I have a short video-clip (avi)with 29,97 input fps and subtitles 25FPS.
    First I loaded the avi into Subtitle Workshop, next I drowe the srt subtitles into the lower window and changed the Input FPS (the upper box)to 25.
    The times in the lower box changed, however much less then needed for synchronizing the times of the AVI. Hence,I tried to adjust the timings of the subtitles, however it doesn't help.
    Please, help me to solve the problem.

Thanks in advance

17. attar

attar Senior member

Load the AVI and the subtitles.
    Play the video.
    At a part where you recognize a name or anything that's recognizable, stop the playback and note the time (on the right) when the actor mouths it.
    Find the subtitle that is supposed to play at this time, highlight it and all subsequent subs.
    Press the two arrow thingies below the screen - the times of the highlighted subtitles should change.
    Scrub through the video and see if it needs more adjustment.
    Save the new .srt file.

[​IMG]

18. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi attar and thanks for the tip. It worked!
    stibi