1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

system aspi corrupted ??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sirenia, Oct 19, 2004.

1. sirenia

sirenia Guest

I am very new to this dvd burning, i was so exited i burned my first dvd with dvd shrink and nero although i had errors the first time when it automatically went to nero so i closed shrink and made a dvd compliation with the files that were saved and it worked in only 8 minutes, but ever since that every single time i try it takes about 1 hour to use shrink and then another hour to burn with nero only for the disk to say burn successfully but when i play it right after the previews it says disk is dirty, i am about to scream help!!!!!!!!!!! i used nero toolkit and it says under the aspi tag that the nero aspi is working fine but when i click on system aspi it says it is corrupted..

2. sirenia

sirenia Guest

Also whenever i hit backup now on dvdshrink my disk is ejected it never did that before.

3. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  4. sirenia

sirenia Guest

ok i have reinstalled my aspi drivers and now they say they are installed and working, but now everytime i hit back upon dvd shrink my cd tray opens and ejects the disk. and the decoding and burning process is really slow and it says burned successfully but when i play the dvd it hasnt been burned successfully

5. sirenia

sirenia Guest

i also went to my ide controllers and the secondary one says pio i clicked on the drop down box to dma when available but how can i make it go to dma?

6. netty

netty Member

hi people.

I am having the same problem with my dvd drive so i thought I`d post in this thread rather than start a new one.

I`ve gone through all the suggested steps that have been suggested. done the full un-install of pinnacle with reg delete and the same with nero. I`ve tried to re-install the drivers but I`m still having the same problem. every time I put a dvd burnt on my dvd recorder connected to my tv it comes up "drive D inaccessable, wrong function" or something like that. sorry not too technically minded here.

I am seriously considering buying an external dvd recorder to get round this problem but it seems an expensive way round a software problem! and I have no idea if it will work or not.

fortunetly I have been able to back up 12 discs worth of videos off my pc. well I hope they work but actually burning a dvd wont! or vcd even.

help? please?

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi guy, you're almost there -

Back you go to Divice Manager and to your DVD/CD Drives. Right-click on them and select uninstall. Reboot your PC's and allow your PC's to find and install your drives. They will be installed in DMA transfer mode and all should be happy in Whoville -

Cheers,

Pete

8. netty

netty Member

hi people. back again.

I`ve just checked and my dma is set right. well it says dma if available and I`ve done the un-install thing but I`m still getting the same thing. when I load a dvd burnt on my main dvd recorder it still says D:\ unavailable. incorrect function. this is driving me crazy. all that money spent and I cant do what I actually want to. :-(

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

"DMA if available" confuses many folks. It's the "Current Transfer Mode" that counts :)

If it's stuck in PIO then try this:

Go to Device Manager >

Expand the tree for DVD/CD ROM Drives >

Find the drive in question, right click it and go to Properties >

Under the Driver tab, select Uninstall then OK.

Now reboot and Windows should detect and reinstall the drive.

If this doesn't help try the same steps as above except expand the tree for IDE ATA/ATA Controllers and uninstall either the Primary or Secondary controller depending on which one the drive in question is attatched to. Nero Info Tool can tell you which chain the drive is on under the Configuration tab.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  10. netty

netty Member

nope. still not working. I`ll maybe go through the whole process again. take all the programs off and do the reg-delete thing and then try un-installing the drivers and what have you. I`ll print all this off and then start doing it again. no doubt I`ll be back again. ;-)

11. netty

netty Member

well I did it. I can now open re-writable discs but not writable discs like I did before. I would love to know which company is responsible for all this trouble. I hate having to pay out for more software...or even hardware which is even worse! I spent a hell of a lot of money on all this...and now can only do data discs....and even then I`m not too sure they will work.

whats the point of spending all that money when you get all this? is it service pack two? or my burning programs? there is a problem somewhere and we, the "punters" are paying for this!
    I`m feeling grouchy over this. sorry but you shouldn`t have to be a whizz kid to get this sort of thing sorted! my dr watson is playing up now and windows explorer! I`m not happy! not happy at all. :-(

12. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

What make/model drive is it? What firmware version is installed?

What brand/type media have you tried so far?

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi netty,

It's a question of getting all the eggs in the same basket UNBROKEN :)

Since you've gotten your DMA straightened out, let's get the rest of the stuff up to snuff -

Let's go over this stuff -

There are some things we should check as they have a direct influence over how our drive behaves -

1. Let's check for up-to-date Firmware for your burner.

"OK, so what is this "Firmware" garbage?" Fair question. Firmware is a "tutor" who's job it is to "introduce" all the different kinds of media to your burner and to tell your burner a little bit about it. What type of media it is and at what speed to burn it. As new media in introduced OR, as the Mfgrs of your burner find new ways to use it, new Firmware comes out to "school" your burner, keeping it up-to-date.

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also -
    http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

Firmware page -
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

Now we need to see if we have a working ASPI Layer.

"Yea right, and ASPI stands for Another Stupid Piece of Insanity, right ?" No, not quite, it stands for "Advanced SCSI Programming Interface". "Well that tells me nothing, what's it do ?" That's a much easier question to answer. It is kind of a "translator" allowing your software to talk your hardware in a manner that your hardware will understand. Let's imagine an Earthman trying to talk to a rock. Now, think of a sledgehammer as being the interface. With the interface in play, the Earthman can tell the rock to disperse into gravel no matter what planet the rock is from, OK ? Good, let's see if we have a sledgehammer –

2. Check for your ASPI Layer. If one isn't present, we'll need to get one and reinstall it, then reboot our PC to allow it to "settle in".

ASPI Checker -
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...oduct/EZ-SCSI_5.0&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

Force 1.8 ASPI Layer -

http://forceaspi18.w.interia.pl/

If you've found you need an ASPI layer OR would like some additional information about it - here you go –

http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

Now let's see if everything will work together the way we want it to, OK ?

Give it a test run and let us know how you make out -

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  14. netty

netty Member

by golly I think it may be sorted! :-D well nero is showing me as having mys ystem aspi installed and working fine and the check thingy showed me as having four aspi`s instead of just the two it was showing before! hopefully this is a permanent fix but at least I know where to come to ask for help now!

thanks alot people. if this has worked properly (and I`m going to get some vids back on my pc to try burning it now) it will have saved me money that I can ill afford to spend!

thank you!!!! :)

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

netty,

and again we have to ask you, what about your firmware ? Did you download the "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found" on "Flash's" page yet ?

We really need to make sure that's in place -

Now, I just re-read your first post and there's something else we need to address and you should be home free -

You never mentioned what DVD recorder / player you have and how old it is.

DVD players older than a year OR a year and 1/2 can be "picky" about the discs you're trying to feed it - Newer players will play a dirty paper plate left over from a week ago family picnic.

If it's an older player, you can do one of two things -

1. Read your "Owners Manual" for the player and see what type of disc it likes. It may like only -R discs THEREFORE, you'll have to burn your backups on -R media and NOT on +R media. See what the Manual says.

2. Go to this site and type in your players name and model number and it will tell you what type of discs it will accept.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php

Last but not least and it's very important - always use a good quality media when your burn backups. Many players, even new ones that will play almost every format under the sun don't like cheap quality discs.

Let's give you a quick education on media.

For starters, let's take Memorex as an excellent example as DVD media goes, 90% of Memorex is sub-standard as far as DVD backups are concerned, figures as high as 50% coasters have been reported (One member bought a stack of 50 and got 23 good burns.), not what I would call an impressive record. Memorex made a name for itself with their magnetic tapes (VHS and audio cassettes) and have been living off it ever since. There are 4 different companies that manufacture Memorex DVD's BTW and product quality varies widely as you might imagine. Only 10% of the Memorex out there, those are discs manufactured by Mitsubishi in the 25 pack spindle , and they're the exception - they are the good ones. It's easy to see now why the quality of a big-named company can't be trusted - " Who's making your Memorex tonight ?"

Is it just Memorex ? No ! I just used Memorex as an example, Princo, Orange Pack, Great AZO and most "store" discs aren't all that suitable as a DVD backup media - that's why we are specific in the type of media we are recommending.

1. * Cheap media freezes, skips, pixelats and may refuse to be recognized by both burners and players :-( Besides "Freezing", "skips" many times you'll get a "Cyclic Redundancy error" or an "I/O error". This message can mean that your discs are scratched or dirty, it can also mean that your burner won't accept your "cheap" media :-(
    Another problem which, "Pops up" is a "*Power Calibration Error". This can stop you right in your tracks and most often is caused by, Yep, you guessed it, inexpensive media. *A "Power Calibration Error" can also be attributed to the Optical Components of a DVD Writer, though this isn't usually the case.

Orange Pack, Princo, Great AZO and 90% of Memorex plus many others are just not that good for DVD burning. Those same discs however, are quite good for your MP3 music, picture archives, Spread sheets and Data..Even DataSafe G04's made by Ritek have been reported as an inferior quality media and are evoking that "Oh no, I shouldn't have gotten those."

What we are suggesting is to download this DVD Identifier to find out who manufactured your DVD and if it's a decent quality.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Once you have your disc identified, click the "More information" icon and see what information you're given. if you're not sure of the quality, come on back and we'll check it out for you -

2. A good grade, Hi-quality media is needed for DVD reproduction ! RiData, Sony, TDK, "Branded" Ritek G04's or "Branded" Verbatim Data Life, Verbatim DataLife plus, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets. Among the better discs we're looking for, any media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO" - BUT it must say "METAL" AZO !, this indicates a superior dye and dye application on a good composite disc, while they are sometimes a bit "pricey" they are just the type of media we're looking for to do our DVD backups, Prices online from Meritline.com OR Newegg.com have gotten Ritek G04 starting at about a $ .45 (USD) a disc -

For DVD backups, purchasing inexpensive media or even average media is a gamble, some people win BUT the majority lose, they lose varying amounts true but, they still lose :-(

Using good grade media can guarantee you one thing to an absolute certainty; it surely cannot hurt.

In an effort to clear the air, when I speak of "Cheap" or "Inexpensive" media, I'm not referring to the price you pay at the counter - I'm referring to poor quality control used during manufacturing and the quality of the dye, dye application or composite type used. I'm not saying it won't burn - Some may burn, some may not. It's quality is inconsistent, meaning it's not dependable. To make matters worse, many times the discs that you do burn may play in your PC BUT your standalone player may not accept them - what good then is a backup DVD that cannot be watched on a DVD player ?
    When I say "Branded" that means that when you pick up a disc in your hand, it says "Ritek" or "RiData" on the disc itself. The monetary cost of the media we recommend many times is cheaper than what you are purchasing now.

We like to verify our information prior to recommending things. There are certain things we look at. For instance, when their dye and dye application are listed as unknown, this almost guarantees us they are using whatever they can get at a cheap price. Companies that use quality materials like to BRAG about it, naming names and staying with quality manufacturers who produce their media.

Using DVD identifier and MediaMatch can help you find out a lot about what you're using. Purchasing your DVD media online can insure that you're getting quality merchandise at a good price. Shopping wisely will save you time, aggravation and money.

I hope that helps,

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  16. netty

netty Member

okay. a full list of things you asked.

my dvd writer is a LITE-ON DVD+RW LDW-401S firmware E9S3

I`ve used seveal discs since I bought my pc (october 2003 according to my receipt). I`ve used packard bells own dvd+rw discs as my my pc is a p.b. i-extreme and I have also used sky dvd+rw discs. I am currently using arita and data safe discs, both of which showed up as ritek discs. (handy tool that thing. thanks!)

I also have a LITE-ON LVW 5001 stand alone recorder attached to my tv which is where some of my videos have been coming from.

I`m now using the newest version of nero and I am hoping to get my pinnacle studio version 8 back on my pc but will not be upgrading it. just downloading the up dates.

think I remembered every thing. not tired burning a disc yet. didn`t have time yesterday as I was trying to get my videos back onto my pc.

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

netty,

I checked your discs -

Packard Bells, Not listed (a bad sign, don't purchase again)

Sky, -R media, Dye unknown, (made by a poor company, poor dye, don't re-purchase again)
    Sky, +R in the single pack - Dye unknown, (made by a poor company, poor dye, don't re-purchase again)
    Sky, +R in the 3-pack, Good, made by Ricoh company Limited. Re -Purchase !

The discs you have that show up as Ritek, good, keep them -

OK, let's do something we familiar with, OK ?

We're going to use DVD Shrink (FREE) and Nero. If you follow my guide step by step we can find out what the problem is with, software, a certain proggy or maybe the hardware -

First off Here's a report on your player along with the recommended media for that player - (at the bottom) -

New comments= New comments since your last visit. New Player = New DVD Player since your last vist.
    DVD Player CDR
    CDRW DVD-R
    DVD-RW DVD+R
    DVD+RW VCD
    SVCD DivX
    JPG MP3
    WMA Price Rating
    Info Reports
    Comments
    LiteOn LVW-5001 CDR
    CDRW DVD-R
    DVD-RW DVD+R
    DVD+RW
    DVD+R DL VCD
    SVCD
    DivX
    JPG MP3
    WMA $200 6.8 (6.8)
    10 votes
    View 10
    reports
    (9397
    views)
    Add report
    More Features:
    Video formats:
    SVCD, SVCDSubs, SVCDTracks?
    DVD-SVCD, CVD?
    DivX, DivXSubs?
    JPG, DVD-JPG?
    XVCD?
    XSVCD?
    MPEGISO, DVD-MPEGISO?
    miniDVD/cDVD?
    Audio formats:
    MP3, DVD-MP3
    MP3 long filename, MP3 ID3 TAG
    WMA, DVD-WMA?
    Other features:
    Progressive scanning
    DVD-VHS Combo
    Region code hack here
    DVD-RAM
    Multisystem PAL/NTSC Convert
    Portable DVD Player
    DVD-TV Combo
    Ethernet connection?
    Home Cinema System?
    DVD Recorder
    DVI Output?
    DVD Changer

Google this DVD Player.
    DVD Media comments for this DVD Player (click on the link to read the comments)
    1 BenQ 8xDVD+R (DAXON...AZ2) comments, 1 plays 0 dont play.
    1 Imation 2.4xDVD+RW (RICOHJPNW01) comments, 1 plays 0 dont play.
    1 KHypermedia 2.4xDVD+R (CMC MAG.R01) comments, 1 plays 0 dont play.
    1 Prodisc 4xDVD-R (ProdiscS03) comments, 1 plays 0 dont play.
    1 Ritek 4xDVD-R (RITEKG04....) comments, 1 plays 0 dont play.
    1 Tevion 4xDVD+R (RICOHJPNR01) comments, 1 plays 0 dont play.
    Add your DVD Media comments here

Use it yourself -
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php

Here's a guide for DVD Shrink with Nero Ultra 6.0

I say, Iffin ya read da threads around here-a-bouts you'll come across an "Uncle" ScubaPete Guide :p) - YA FOLLOW ALL THE DIRECTIONS AND ALL OF THE SETTINGS -
    Anyway, to help ya find the silly little thing, it kind of looks like this -

Here we go, step by step - it can't fail.

It's "Uncle" ScubaPete's Guide to fry a DVD to a golden brown by Nero Ultra 6 and his Flaming Roman Legionnaires :p)

You need to have Nero on your PC, here's a 30-day FREE trial - you don't have to put any settings in or anything else. DVD Shrink will detect it and use it to burn your DVD - Soooo, just download and install it and move on -

http://www.ahead.de/us/nero6-ultraedition.php

HINT:

First create a folder for your HD backup. . This is the place on your HD where DVD Shrink will work on your movie files and Nero 6 can pick them up to burn to disc. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it (i.e. C:/All DVD Work/Mending a Broken Heart by Edward Scissor hands).

Well, Alrighty then - - are we relaxed, loose and ready ? Yes ? Good, then here we go - - -
    Download DVD Shrink.
    The link for the newest DVD Shrink ver. 3.2.0.15 -

http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html

Open it and click "Edit", then click "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as custom and set the size between 4300MB and 4360MB - we do this to make extremely sure that our disc isn't so large it burns to the edge of the disc. Then under the "File I/O" tab tick "Enable burning with Nero" then click "OK". DO THAT NOW !

Place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive. (Of course if you only have a single drive, place your original in the drive and when you are asked for it, put your blank DVD in. Then, first chance you get buy yourself a DVD-ROM to ease the strain on your burner.) DO USE Sony, TDK, Ritek G04, Ridata, Verbatim "DataLife", Verbatim DataLife "Plus", media boasting "Advanced Metal AZO Dye, Taiyo Yuden's and generally, almost any discs manufactured by Mitsubishi are excellent bets.. Many other media could cause you errors, only the very best quality media should be used for DVD Video backups. Now is defiantly not the time to put your crappy, "Look how much money I've saved buying these." Cheap stuff in - ). This might be a good time to use a DVD RW. We won't use them regularly because for 1, many DVD players don't play them and 2, they cost too much (Lol). We do want to use them because if we make a mistake, it won't cost us a disc. When we get our steps down we'll then switch to our single-write media.

Since you've put you original in, "click" DVD Shrink' s "Open disc" and find your drive with your original DVD. Click "OK" and wait for about 30 seconds to about a minute while DVD Shrink "Analysis's" your DVD.

Now click "Backup" -

Under "Quality Settings", if it's SPEED you're after, "un-tick" the box which says, "Perform deep analysis" and "un-tick" the box for "Compress the video with high quality adaptive error compensation". This will give you acceptable DVD backup.
    If it's QUALITY you're after and have some extra time to spend, "tick" Perform Deep Analysis" before backup to improve quality AND "tick" "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation." There you may adjust Quality Enhancements. Practicing with the settings can produce even better end products. For a no-frills DVD's like "There's something about Mary" I like Extra Smooth BUT for DVD's with a lot of special effects, I use the Extra Sharp setting. That's for me, you'll have to decide what you like :) If all the boxes are "grayed out" that's OK, it means your DVD is small enough that little will be lost from the original.
    Now, take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target " once there, select "your burner, If you have 2 burners, select one". Finally, where it says "Select folder for temporary files", browse until you find your created folder for your backup and click "Save". That's it ! Click "OK" and DVD Shrink burns that DVD to your HD. It then opens Nero and has it burn the files to your waiting blank DVD.
    Don't use your PC for anything at all while it's working. -

I'M NOT KIDDING ! STAND BACK FROM THE COMPUTER !

* There have been issues where playing your DVD on your burner may result in errors during processing :-(

When you're lQQking for a Guide with a demented disposition, shop ScubaPete

Enjoy,

Pete

Iffin ya don't want de ScubaPete hounding ya until the end of time, ya better come back and tell us how ya made out. I'm not a-kidding now, Hurry back -

Last edited: Nov 17, 2004
  18. netty

netty Member

okay. I`m back. haha

right I have dvd-shrink already. I got it just before everything went wrong because a mate was raving about it but didnt have time to mess around with it last time. but I will copy your last post, or print it off so I have it next time I need it. most of the videos I have I have downloaded. (sshhh ;-) ) so I dont need to transfer them from one disc to another. but if might come in handy one day ya never know.

I did burn a dvd last night using nero but although it will play on my pc. well I can open it and see the files on it, I cant get it to play on my dvd player. so I`ve obvously got a setting wrong on nero somewhere. I seem to remember a bit where you could change things and joilet or something was on it. but its knowing what I should have it on so that my dvd player will accept and play it! can you tell me what it needs so be set on please?

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You must use NeroVision to render your download AVI's OR MPG's to a compatiable files which will play on your DVD standalone.

Another option is dvd Santa -

http://www.dvdsanta.com/features.htm

Cheers,

Pete

and yet another guide not being used, LOl - For all those reading this thread - copy the guide down, it's a good one :)

20. netty

netty Member

never heard of dvdsanta before. will try it tomorrow! I did burn a disc earlier today and it worked! have to get studio back on my pc yet though. see if that will work properly now.

thanks again for all you help! may not be over yet but we have great results so far! :D

thanks!