1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System Changes Cannot Be Made

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Niobis, Sep 16, 2006.

1. Niobis

Niobis Active member

I don't know if this falls under an OS problem or a hardware problem so, I'll just post it here 'cause I think it's OS since it affects various hardware.

Not sure if they are considered "system changes" but, I cannot alter or change alot of settings. I've posted some individual problem here before with no solutions. So, here's the collective list of main problems.

-Can't change modem properties(yeah, still on dialup). When I open my modem properties and click settings I have the option "Quick Connect". It is checked by default but, when i uncheck it, close and reopen the window, it is checked again. Also, click on "Modem on Hold" tab I can choose to enable or disable. It is enabled by deafult and just like Quick Connect when I disable it, close and reopen the window it is enabled again.

-Can't overclock my video card. I've posted this problem in "The Offical OC'ing Thread". If you've read there you know the details. I've tried many programs with no help. When I set the MHz I want close and reopen the window, the speeds are back to default.

-Can't change default browser. I open "Set Program Access and Defaults" in Add/Remove Programs and change my default browser to FireFox from "Use my current Web browser", but when I close and reopen the window it is back to "Use my current Web browser".

There are a few others but, those are the most annoying! Plus, I don't want to make this post huge and unbearable to read. :)

I appreciate any help or info.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2006
  2. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

The only question i have first is. Do you have a user account that is limited or Computer Adminstrator??

If your settings are on limited that is why u can not make system changes.

Let me know and then we can help you further.

3. Niobis

Niobis Active member

I am the owner of this computer. No others use it.

4. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Ok. but i need to know what type of account u have setup for your only profile.

Is it Computer Admin or Limited User"???

5. Niobis

Niobis Active member

lol, well, if I'm the only user wouldn't I [bold]have[/bold] to be Administrator? :) Yeah, I'm the admin.

Actually, come to think about it when I boot in safe mode(only show in safe mode) there are two accounts listed: Administrator and mine. I cannot logon to the admin account becasue it is password protected and "admin" or leaving it blank isn't correct.

But, as I said I am the [bold]only[/bold] user to ever use this computer. I setup the Windows account and the logon account.

6. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Well if your admin it should allwo u to do system changes i am clueless on what can cause this problem. brain is rattling...

7. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Mine too! I've had this annoyance since I bought this computer. I'll call Alienware customer service and see what they have for a solution.

Any clue as to why that administrative account only shows in safe mode or what it is for?

8. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

The admin account that is shown in safe mode is if u have a crash within windows running normally. This account is a backup to fix or create or delete any accounts that are giving you problems.

9. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Ok, thanks. I just have never seen it on any other computer I have used.

10. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Well, I called customer service and the guy asked me the same thing borhan9 asked. Then, he told me to try changing the settings in safe mode and if that didn't work, I'd have to reinstall Windows. Well, changing in safe mode didn't help. What would reinstalling Windows help if this problem has been this way since I got this computer? I don't think that would help anything! I'm thinking I'm just going to have to deal with not being able to OC and change settings. :( Very annoying!

11. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Adter reading what you just posted. Another thing has come to minf fon't format and start again. Put in the OS disc and do a repair install and that will just reinstall windows without actually loosing any of the data u have saved before.

12. Niobis

Niobis Active member

f's replaced with d's and visa versa? :) Missed one...format, lol.

Anyway, I wasn't thinking about reinstalling, don't think it will help. But, I will try repairing later and post back. Thanks.

13. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Mate repairing is not reinstalling. Just boot from CD and the rest windows will take you through it.

14. Niobis

Niobis Active member

:) That's what I said. I said I wasn't thinking about reinstalling 'cause you said don't format.

15. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Thats kewl :) just needed to clarify :)

16. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Have you tried System File Checker and Check Disk (aka Scan Disk)?

17. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Never heard of System File Checker...more info?

I try to run Check Disk about once a month or so. Just now ran it again and it recovered some lost files after Step 2. Tried changing default browser again, but still goes default when I close window.

18. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

System File Checker gives an administrator the ability to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If System File Checker discovers that a protected file has been overwritten, it retrieves the correct version of the file from the cache folder (%Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache) or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747

19. Niobis

Niobis Active member

Thanks for the useful info, but it didn't help. Ran SEC and everything was ok I guess. Nothing happened after scan. Tried changing default browser again. Also tired changing media player to Winamp from Use my current media player. Goes back to Use my current... after closing window.

A question before I try repairing: is it still worth trying after Check Disk and SEC?

Edit: I edited but had to re-edit, wasn't correct.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  20. dolphin2

dolphin2 Guest

Didn't hurt to try! Sorry it didn't work.