1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

system configuration utility

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by tweety01, Mar 6, 2007.

1. tweety01

tweety01 Member

I have entered my system configuration utility and now want to make sure that I have exited it. Is there a surefire way to know if I'm working on my computer in normal mode? Please help. I had a problem and was directed to use system configuration utility and make certain changes.

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

What system configuration utility do you mean?

3. tweety01

tweety01 Member

I've used msconfig and a program that deletes program. (Magic Utilites 2007). Everything seems okay now except the program is still sitting in my add/remove program. It doesn't say remove.

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

If it appears in your add/remove programs folder, that usually means that it installed on your system, ready for when you might want to use it.

If you don't see 'remove' in add/remove programs, that sounds like it got removed, but the list was not updated properly. I think you can right click on it and remove the entry manually.

To be sure that your computer is running in normal mode, you can close it down and restart it.

5. tweety01

tweety01 Member

I've tried to right-click the program in order to remove it but nothing happens. It's still there. I have no idea how to get rid of it. I think the program is not running on my computer but in my programs file in my control panel. This is driving me mad.

6. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

tweety01, you seem to be saying that a program is sitting in your control panel and you can't get rid of it. I need to know what it is called.

1. What is this program called? What is its name?

2. What do you mean by system configuration utility? Where is it? How did you start it? What did it do?

3. Did you install it or was it already on your computer?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  7. tweety01

tweety01 Member

The program I'm trying to get rid of on my control panel (add/remove) program is PCMightymax. I was instructed to use the msconfig to get rid of it as directed. I also used a program to delete program (Magic Utilities 2007). I have gotten rid of the program but it is still in my add/remove programs in my control panel. This is a pest seeing it there. It has no remove notation. Just the size of the file and when used. I hope I've answered your questions.

8. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

OK I'm with you now. At first it sounded like that PCMightymax program had just left an "orphaned entry" in the add/remove programs list, but there may be more to it than that.

I have done some research using Google and it seems that PCMightymax is a well known problem program. It just does not want to be removed! It seems to be designed to stay even when you want to remove it. Many people have complained that it keeps coming back, even after they seem to have "removed" it through add/remove programs.

Many people call PCMightymax a hijack program and a virus. It is bad news. Anyone reading this, don't install it!!!

There is a free utility called Crap Cleaner or CCleaner which some people have used to remove it.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Other people have suggested the 'brute force' method:

1. open c:\program files in Windows Explorer.
    2. find the PCMightymax program folder
    3. delete it.
    4. reboot computer