1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System Instabilities

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ZeFyre, Apr 9, 2004.

1. ZeFyre

ZeFyre Guest

Hi,

I have a custom-built Athlon XP system, and I am starting to have problems with periodic short frame skips in games, and periodic short audio skips in my MP3/WAV playing software.

Here's my system configuration:
    - AMD Athlon XP 2400 @ 2.0GHz
    - ASUS A7N8X-Deluxe Mobo
    - 512MB PC2700 Kingston DDR RAM
    - 40GB 7200RPM IDE Maxtor HDD
    - MSI Personal Cinema GeForce FX 5200 128MB
    - Creative SB Live! 5.1

This problem has been happening for the past few weeks, and I think it's related to drivers, yet, I have gone through and made sure that all of my drivers are at the latest versions. Also, In the case of my nForce, GeForce, and Personal Cinema WDM drivers, I have obtained the latest versions from nVidia, instead of getting the latest ones from my hardware manufacturers' web sites.

Any help you all may have to offer would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!
    -- Quinn

2. Hopsing

Hopsing Member

hate to state the obvious... but is it all games and all music.... or just a select few..

3. ZeFyre

ZeFyre Guest

Hi,

I had just woken up when I made that post, so it was a given that I would forget to add in some details...

The game frameskips are mostly noticeable on games that use the Quake3 engine. However, the sound skips seem to happen in just about every program -- iTunes for Windows, WiMP 9, basically anything that plays MP3's.

Sorry again for the lack of detail. :p

Thanks for posting back!
    -- Quinn

4. gotisos

gotisos Guest

you should try running some computer management software like systemworks. it does disk checks, windows error checks, virus check, and a bunch of other things that may be causing the problems. if you download a lot of stuff, you should make sure that you use some type of management software, or else you are going to get plagued with errors. what drivers do you have? you may want to downgrade ur drivers?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2004
  5. ZeFyre

ZeFyre Guest

Hi,

After fooling around with this for a while longer, I finally found out that the issue was related to nVidia's proprietary IDE drivers. I uninstalled nVidia's IDE drivers, and my system is working perfectly now.

Thanks again guys!
    -- Quinn