1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SYSTEM RECOVERY PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by onliner, Jul 7, 2007.

1. onliner

onliner Member

hey all,

I have a few people staying around my house at the moment and its possible one or two of them have been on my laptop and somehow messed everything up. I came home from work one day loaded up my laptop, and on startup a black screen came up saying that a file was missing i don't know the name but it was in \WINDOWS so i knew it was important.

I ended up try the system recovery built in my laptop which failed,
    I tried another recovery on the the disc i got with the laptop, and it was one of the softer recoveries that also didn't work

I then tried the recovery that creates a whole new systems and keeps a copy of my old disk structure. This worked, but now i have a very low disc space?!?!?

I also had to do the whole first time set up thing, and a few things ended up different, none of my programs work, there not in the start menu, only in the old disk structure??

So what can i delete? and how can i get back exactly what i had before ?

thanks in advance

2. jony218

jony218 Guest

someone here in the forums had something similar to your problem.
    here's the link below. I think your missing some of your system files that need to be reinstalled.

One thing I would strongly recommend is that you make up an image of your c: partition drive with the demo of "acronis true image" and save it somewhere, that way if you damage your original during repairs, you always have a good backup that can be reinstalled to continue repairs.

As long as the hard drive is not damaged most boot problems can be repaired.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/530792

3. onliner

onliner Member

hey thanks for your help but I'm not having a boot problem. I have a really low disk space because I basically have two copies of my hard drive.

Do you know what I can delete?

I mean as in folders such as WINDOWS and PROGRAM FILES etc...

thanks