1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

system restart

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by east319, Jul 6, 2007.

1. east319

east319 Member

When I try to recode a movie my system reboots. That is with any thing I use to recode or encode. Help!

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Encoding places a large load on your system. If it overheats it can do that. Have you checked your CPU heatsink/fan for dust and dirt build up?
    Make sure you have unneeded process/programs shut off. Do your normal PC maintenance, defrag, disc cleanup, virus scan. Run the CCleaner to clean up your registry. Click the "Issues" icon to do that.
    It would be helpful if you could tell us your system's specs, Is it a desktop or notebook, CPU , how much memory, HDD size and available space... That sort of stuff. You can use Belarc Advisor for finding this stuff out.

3. east319

east319 Member

It's a desktop. 990 ram, over 500GB, 2900 cpu. I'm have nero, winavi, convert to dvd. It was working about aweek ago. Then it just stop doing. Everything else works just fine. Just when I encode, it reboots.

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Is this an HP or Compaq PC?
    The last couple of times I've seen this problem it was an overheating problem. Blowing out the fan and heatsink cured it. In those cases the encoding would start and then fail after a few minutes as the CPU overheated.

Did you try any of the things I mentioned? You could also try a system restore.

5. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Sure sounds like a heat problem as fasfrank says. Did you check inside your pc at all? Do this first, then ask again if clean up doesn't help.

6. east319

east319 Member

My pc is one I build myself. I build this about 3 years ago. Everything was fine until about 2 weeks ago. I took it out and sprayed it out. All the fans work. I'm use windows pro. I can burn music, watch movies download anything. I think it might be something on my motherborad going out.

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Bummer, heat would have been easy to fix. Hope it's not major.

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I'd run a stress program, like Orthos. See if you can identify the problem.

MemTest is another:
    It works for me.

Also...
    Because encoding will cause your CPU to run at 100% or so it requires reliable power. Your power supply may be getting weak.

Everest Ultimate is an excellent diagnostic and monitoring program that will tell you all about temperatures, voltages on the motherboard and all sorts of other stuff.

You should take a look at your cpu temperature. Also, see if your cpu voltage drops off with a load applied. Check your HDD health.

If it is something with Windows, and not the PC, you can always backup your data and reinstall windows.

The thing that bothers me is that none of your encoding programs work. I don't know what software problem would cause that. You could try removing and reinstalling the programs. You may have the encoding defaulted to Nero or WinAVI or maybe it is some sort of a conflict with the programs. Did you do anything before this started happening... Like update Nero or add a program? Did you try a system Restore to a time before the problem occurred?

9. east319

east319 Member

I've reinstalled windows about 6 times. I used 3 diff copys. They all did the same thing. So I had to put these programs on all over again each time. I'll do the Everest test and see what happens.

10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

That really points to a hardware failure.
    Make sure you use the first two programs I mentioned.
    Everest is a great monitoring program but will not put your system under load.

Use Orthos to load test the CPU

Use MemTest to load test the RAM.

Use Everest to monitor your temperatures and voltages while running Orthos and MemTest.

What I would like to know is:
    You CPU make and model number
    Your RAM make and model number
    CPU temperature and core voltage at idle (Orthos NOT running)
    CPU temperature and core voltage after 15 minutes Orthos running.

It should look something like this with Orthos and Everest running:

[​IMG]

11. east319

east319 Member

This is what i came up with. Chaintech 7VIF4. KM400-8235-IF6LVC4CC-00. Kingston 512mb pc2700 ddr. I have two of those. When I click the sensor, I only get the temp for the harddrive. What should I be looking for?

12. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Well, if you notice in the screenshot, hdd temp is one of the temperatures that the trial version of Everest does not supply, so I don't know how you are getting that and not the temperatures we need to look at.
    Are you sure you downloaded Everest Ultimate?

If thats what you have, then click Menu > Computer > Sensor and you should get a page that looks similar to mine. The only other thing I can think of is that your motherboards' Bios is not reporting any temperatures or voltages. Except HDD temp which does us no good at all.

Download CoreTemp and tell me what it reports, it should be these items:
    Processor:
    Frequency:
    Platform:
    VID:

Tjunction:
    Core:

I'm interested in Core temp while idling and with Orthos running.

Have you tried running Orthos??

Your RAM is fine as far as the type and amount you have (1 GB of DDR PC 2700)

13. east319

east319 Member

Ok. This is what I came up with. I did he orthos thing. Fatal error- rounding was 0.4999923706 expected less than 0.4. That was with stress cpu and ram. I tried the core temp. Try to install. Not an AMD RevF/G processor comes up. I still only get the temp on my hardrives. I have the v4.00.1053 beta. I'm starting to think it's a processor problem.

14. east319

east319 Member

Ok. This is what I came up with. I did he orthos thing. Fatal error- rounding was 0.4999923706 expected less than 0.4. That was with stress cpu and ram. I tried the core temp. Try to install. Not an AMD RevF/G processor comes up. I still only get the temp on my hardrives. I have the v4.00.1053 beta. I'm starting to think it's a processor problem.

15. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Try just stressing the CPU by using small FFTs instead of the blend test.
    Kinda wish you would have mentioned how long Orthos ran for before the error occured. If it's running for a while before failing then it's probably a heat or power supply problem. If it's failing instantly it might be a RAM, CPU or motherboard problem.

If you have a CPU failure I would think that your PC would simply die on you.
    You didn't mention what CPU you are using. If you built the PC you should have all the hardware info somewhere, Motherboard, CPU, power supply, HDDs etc.

What is strange to me is that you cannot seem to get any monitoring program to work. At this point we still do not know your CPU temperature or the voltage being supplied to it by your power supply. This makes it difficult to troubleshoot.

I still think it's an overheating or a power supply problem because the failure occurs only under full load. It runs normally the rest of the time. Try reseating your heatsink with some Arctic Silver thermal compound. If you replace anything, replace the power supply.

If you start replacing core PC hardware; RAM, CPU, etc, you may as well upgrade the motherboard and build a new system around that because your system is more than a couple of years old.

16. east319

east319 Member

Well, It's to late. i was just making sure it was all cleaned out. turned it on and spark then smoke. Some chip in it just gave out and melted on me. i think the something on the mother board was going out. now I have to replace the whole thing. Thanks for all the help.