1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System Restore

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by ravens1, Jan 19, 2007.

1. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

I have a computer that i can log in to, but its all messed up. I get kind of like a loop. I log in and then i get prompted to logout. Therefor i cant login.I have an original Windows XP disc. What exactly can i do with the disc. I have some files on that computer which i want to save. Should i buy an external HD and copy my files to it. The files i want is in a big folder which has all the settings and My pictures. I heard something about system restore, is there something i can do?

Also, i want to make a system restore disk for this computer i am currently using. If i make a restore disk, how do i boot into it upon startup. Is there a special button i press like F8 or something?

Thanks.

2. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

restart in safe mode and thain do a system restore to the day berore you started having problems and that should do the trick fro you

3. ravens1

ravens1 Regular member

Ok, but how do i do a system restore?

4. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Once you boot into Safe Mode, you'll be prompted with a YES / NO window. Choose NO to continue with a System Restore. It's pretty easy, all you have to do is follow the prompts and pick a date before the problem started occuring.

Warning: you might/will lose any newer files saved after the restore point.