1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"SYSTEM RESTORE"

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by rtrg, Apr 1, 2009.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

The system restore program in my GATEWAY P3 700/512 tower does NOT function, "restoration incomplwte, no changes made" after running it. Is there a restore program "CLONE" that can function independently of the MS program that can bring my system to an earlier configuration? even to the point of a RAW desktop as it would be after the OS(xp pro) was reloaded? I do NOT have a disc nor do I know how to use it. There are 3 error messages that appear on start up, dealing with DLL files that are either missing or cannot be loaded. Also the HOME page of a previously removed registry cleaning program still is displayed on start up even though the program itself is NOT on any list. I ran my registry cleaner, fixed a number of issues to no avail. Short of the $S to reload the OS is there anything I can do. These issues are minor enough to live with, even though I know they should not exist. Opinions, web sites, ect is welcome. As always thank*s in advance.

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Lot's of program's let you restore an image to an earlier point, Acronis True Image, Paragon, Terabyte, Macrium Reflect (free or paid), Drive Image XML (has a free version, I think), Norton Ghost. I use True Image myself and probably restore image's 3-4 time's a week as an uninstaller but their support may not be that great if you have any issue's (disabled System Restore year's ago). Whatever you get, make sure it let's you make a boot disk in case Window's isn't bootable. Not sure about the other issue, maybe a registry cleaner like RegSeeker (very aggressive-be careful) to search out leftover's or even Hijack This but make sure to have a backup to go to in case.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I am not sure exactly what you are referring to. I used CCLEANER to no affect. As I said I am looking fro a SYSTEM RESTORE type program that functions as IT does and allows me to turn the entire system back to an earlier time and condition, ie removing icons/programs, ect. That is what I need. Short of reinstalling a clean OS I do not know of any thing else I might be able to do. Reloading the OS is not something I can do.

4. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Those program's take an image (picture clone sort of except smaller size) of your OS at a specific point you choose and let you restore to it when you have an issue, no more OS installing and a boot disk made by those program's let's you restore that image if Window's can't boot. RegSeeker is a powerful registry cleaner (free) that you can use to find program leftover's on your computer but more than 1 program can have similar entries so check before deleting them. A backup of deleted item's is made but I don't rely on it. Hijack This is another free program that show's installed item's on your computer but unless familiar with it, I wouldn't delete anything. CCleaner is a mild, generic cleaner (very good though), RegSeeker let's you be more specific in a search. I know of no way of restoring a damaged OS after the fact without an image, an OS reinstall may be needed, it's actually not that hard, an hour or so , less if you have your Motherboard CD of driver's.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  5. jony218

jony218 Guest

For saving a compressed copy of a clean system to restore at a later time use the free "macrium reflect" it's quick at backing up and restoring. It's what I use when I need to restore my computer. I no longer use or enable "windows system restore" it's a worthless software that takes up too much space.

If you need immediate restoration, for instance to test a software (that doesn't need a reboot to install). Use the free "returnil" it places your c: partition in virtual mode immediatly (takes 3 seconds to enter virtual mode). Anything you do while in virtual mode won't be written to the real hard drive. When you reboot your computer, it returns to the same state it was before you enter virtual mode. I use it everytime when I surf the internet or want to change windows settings. It has save me many times.

6. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Thank*s guys. It seems my only real choice, based on your answers, is for me to have the OS reloaded. In that way I will have a RAW tower I can start with. In my experience REG CLEANER is not truly "FREE". You can scan for FREE but NOT FIX for FREE. That is useless to me.

7. mistycat

mistycat Active member

8. zeek2009

zeek2009 Guest

Hi I was wondering how much does it cost you to have the OS installed? I am having problems myself Thanks

9. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Fortunately for me I have a tech friend who will usually do it for free. If the tower has other issues that I am not aware of. it can cost $60 or less. In my area the basic diagnostic or minimum work is $30. But no one gets away with that. You might be better off looking for a used older tower like I do. If you are not to fussy with the bells and whistles, a PENT 111, 1 gig, plus or minus, might be fine for you. MY "BEST" tower is an older DELL P4 running xp pro, 2.4 gig. My "WORST" tower is a "NO NAME" P111,800meg, running xp. I have converted a lowly P111,500meg, win 95 to xp. The person who now uses it is very satisfied. It all depends on your needs and expectations. Hope this helps.

10. mistycat

mistycat Active member

zeek2009-if you're thinking of reinstalling the OS anyway, why not get a pro version of a backup program instead? Once you've made and verified an image, it won't matter how much you trash the OS and even if the computer only black screen's, a recovery CD still restore's thing's. I recommend Acronis True Image only because I have used several version's of it and once you have a recovery CD, the program doesn't even need to be installed. There are free version's if you have a Seagate or Maxtor drive, any 2nd drive to save the image to is necessary. Macrium Reflect is another I hear good thing's about. A program like Driver Max will collect your driver's for you to install later, there are numerous guide's around the web on reinstalling and any number of people here can answer any question's you may have. It is intimidating and I was terrified about it but now it's kinda fun except for installing all my program's after. A window's install CD, your key for it and a program to write data (there are lot's) and you're off.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  11. zeek2009

zeek2009 Guest

Thanks I wish I knew someone like that. I heard that many get 60 per hour. I think 30 to 60 isnt that bad What state are you in? That's a lot for and old computer

12. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

zeek=== thanks for the kind words. i am glad i could help. as a novice there is not to much i can contribute here. i am in CT. be aware that if your OS is not genuine, you will be limited to third party sites for downloading what looks like genuine MICROSOFT programs. wmp 9, or wmp 6,4, so called "CLASSIC", for example. Ms does not allow 6.4 to be used with XP. the OS is newer than the player. You also could not upgrade to P10 or 11, only a GENUINE copy of the OS will allow this. I have no issues with using "CLONE" third party MS products as they are designed to work with almost all windows OS*S. your message was cut off. do you have any, or know of anyone in my area that has towers as i described? reply here if yes. again i hope this helps.

13. zeek2009

zeek2009 Guest

Thanks for the advice. I only have two towers and this one works the other does not. I think the os needs to be reinstalled. I wish I could find some one to do it, I checked around and because I dont have the original disk they want me to buy a new one.They want 100 just for the dam disk plus labor. Thats more than I want to spend, I am going to keep looking. I am new to all of this stuff does that sound right to you? I wish I knew more about computers. How long have you had one? Thanks again

14. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

ZEEK--- I find it nice to be able to talk to another novice. I got my first computer around 6 years ago, a COMPAQ DESK PRO running windows 2000. Not as nice as xp in my opinion. In the years since I have collected computers to fool with, use, and give away to anyone who needs one. Never anything current, but always stable. In the more recent past I had a run of bad luck with a number of towers, too many to count. They all died of various ailments, virusus, despite the ANTI virus program, corrupted hard drive, power supplies, bad boards. The list gets longer. My buddy has 2 towers of mine, a DELL PENTIUM 4, which is at least not too ancient, and my primary which is an older GATEWAY P111. Both have dvd rom drives and cd writers(meaning the cd can record to the appropriate type of disc, the rom drive only plays dvds. the rom drive also plays cds, and any kind of data disc, recovery, install, OS, ect). As for the disc, any reputable shop should be able to wipe the hard drive clean, and reinstall the OS with THEIR disc. Which should be a LIGITIMENT copy, which in turn will allow you to download programs from the MICROSOFT site if that is important to you. You can also use any mumber of third party sites like BROTHERSOFT, FILEHIPPO, CNET, DOWNLOADS, FREE DOWNLOADS,SOFT 32, to name the ones I use. A search for what you are looking for will give you these sites and more. Be aware that if you decide to reinstall the OS, you can tell the shop to do one of two things for you, reinstall and reload any amd/or all your existing programs,icons, files, ect OR reinstall ONLY. In the latter case your tower will be in RAW condition, that is you will have a functioning internet connection, presuming you have the provider, a working BROWSER which in all likelyhood will be IE6 or 7. And the recycle bin and WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER, probably 9, but it could be an earlier version. In that case it will be up to you to spend the time to reinstall whatever programs that are now missing, players, protection programs, registery cleaner, perhaps another browser to hold your email provider, ect. If this is the route you decide I am more than willing to help you via email or phone. I hope we will continue to communicate.I would give you my email here but they do not allow it. Again I hope this helps.