1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

system restore

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by rtrg, Nov 30, 2018.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I need a FREE alternative to MS SYSTEM RESTORE app to restore system to an earlier state/date/time. I was using SYSRESTORE from SYSNEW.com but it will no longer download/install. Error displayed, any browser, from any website. Suggestions please. Other apps I used have been discontinued. TOOLWIZ TIME FREEZE?

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

software section here at AD..Easeus todo backup however you want the older version 5.8.Select previous versions at the page.Once installed use image settings to set compression to medium..Your best bet is to create images on more than one hdd.You can't revert if image is stored on the primary drive windows resides on.The images take up less space than cloning..You can set easeus to image say one a week.then you can also set up a second set of images with only files you want in a separate backup i.e documents etc on a daily or whatever hourly basis

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Too complicated for me. I prefer cloning because after a fresh OS install plus the other apps, which I might change, free versus paid, or an app that will NOT install, or needs more than one dependent app like NET FRAMEWORK, I spend the hours it takes to set up the desktop followed by a clone so I do not need to spend all that time a second time. Much easier. The various version change layout but they serve me well.

4. attar

attar Senior member

AOMEI Backupper will make backups and optionally, scheduled incremental backups.
    It can create a boot usb or cd that contains the required drivers.

5. aldan

aldan Active member

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

If you can clone then you can create system images as it's a one clik op & unlike a clone takes up far less space & time..

Incremental backups are useless if the base image gets corrupted been there done that never again,.Better to use system imaging (In easy terms its like a vpc file)

7. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I decided to stay with MS SYSTEM RESTORE. I put an icon on the desktop. only downside is the creation of ongoing restore points. I would prefer only ONE when the system was clean to restore to whenever needed.

8. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I used SYS RESTORE from SYS NEW.com until it refused to be installed for some unknown reason. I now use win7 built in restore. works well. I use the FIRST restore point when the system was clean after a fresh OS reinstall, which I have not needed to do lately. as an aside, I installed ZONE ALARM recently to get rid of those FAKE MS alerts. seems to work most of the time. sometimes I can close the alert, sometimes I am forced to restart or even power off. there seems to be no perfect solution.