1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem System wide stutter/freeze randomly

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by hoza1, Jan 4, 2015.

1. hoza1

hoza1 Member

Right so here's the problem: Sometimes my entire computer starts to act up and begins to stutter and freeze. When it starts, once every 4 seconds everything freezes up for a second, and the sound will also do a robotic noise during that freeze (louder if there's music/video playing). Also my entire computer goes into super slow mode, and doing the simplest things will take a long time. Trying to shutdown normally also takes an eternity or two. The only way to fix this is to do a hard reset.

This is completely random when it happens and I can't seem to reproduce it at will. But I have noticed that it happens more often if I do something like.. closing a program or something. Just a few minutes ago I had to restart my computer because of the stutter, and it happened after I stopped playing a game on Steam. I have also noticed that this never happens if I'm playing something.

I've had my suspicions, but could it be a hard drive at fault here? I can hear my hard drive "think" right when it stutters once every 4 seconds. Or perhaps something to do with power? Maybe the system thinks its bed time after closing a game, but fiddling with the power settings doesn't change anything.

Been like this for a few months now but don't feel like procrastinating about this problem this morning.
    Would appreciate with any help.

Attached DxDiag for your reading pleasure.

Attached Files:

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

go to start up progams and change the number of programs that run on start up (it will boot faster that way)
    run scans for virus/malware etc.........
    your hard drive looks like its got 20gbs free out of 500gbs clearing some memory might help.
    open the pc case and check it for damaged fans,also you might wanna clean it out.
    check your ram usage in task manager when doing things like games and make sure its not maxing out.

honestly it sounds to me like ram issues , overheating or viruses and i'm surprised you arn't getting blue screens all the time.
    could be conflicting drivers or other software issues.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Use ram check to see any issues with it,any linux can do it, at distrowatch.com most are free,something like puppy or lite.burn to cd or dvd depending on distro you get.

another way of checking other hardware is remove all but the basics,leaving only ram & hard drive,be sure to check capacitors on the mobo for domed look.The linux live cd's can be used to test the OS itself or hard drive issues coz if it behaves while using one then the issue is with one or the other as neither are used

4. hoza1

hoza1 Member

Just recently I made a complete format to install Windows 8.1 and the stutter seems to have disappeared, hopefully anyway. Funnily enough while I was doing the disk partition part, my original HDD (the one that had Win 7) has RIP itself into the ether. So I guess that was the problem.

I'll let this thread be for a few days, just in case the issue is still present.