1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by etniessk8, Jun 9, 2006.

1. etniessk8

etniessk8 Member

i get the message that the file is corrupted at boot-up. I am running Windows XP pro SP2, and have tried "copy d:\i836\driver.cab c:\system32\ntoskrnl.exe in the recovery console, but i get "access is denied" Is there any to gain access to that file ?

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

That's your boot kernel and is locked. One way to access it is to place that drive in another system as a secondary hd. There, you can freely overwrite the system files.

3. etniessk8

etniessk8 Member

ic ic, i have no other pc's with SATAII. Would reformatting do the trick?

4. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Yes. It is also possible that a repair installation (not the piss poor excuse of a recovery console) will fix it as well. Go thru the setup procedures as you would to install XP. You will get a screen asking you (after pressing F8) if you wish to repair the installation.

Try that first. Then when it's done, all you have to do is reinstall your chipset (motherboard) video and sound drivers...and all the XP OS updates. Not bad, it's the same as doing a fresh install....but it won't remove your programs or files. They'll still work.

5. etniessk8

etniessk8 Member

lol no need it was about 2 hours after building i had nothing on it. I just tried a bit too much overclokin for my comps liking. So... Kernal corrupt = no way of getting thingswithout recovering or formatting,.... gotit

6. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

If corruption has occurred due to overclocking...you will have to lower your clock settings. This may get Windows back to running condition without a new installation.

Next time, please don't forget to add that valuable information in your post!! That way, a correct solution can be provided to you.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  7. etniessk8

etniessk8 Member

o sorry, but i tried undercloking my cpu and nothing happened. I have reformated my pc and everything is up and running, thanks.